Yes or no to feeding corals.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals eat better than me most days... I rotate Reef roids, reef chili, LPS pellets, Mysis pellets a couple times a week then add Red Sea reef energy daily. Not saying it's needed but everything seems happy.

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I feed the corals and other inverts as well, a good mixture and that's when I add the essential elements, liquid calcium and iodide as well. I turn my main pumps off for about 15 minutes to allow the corals/sponges and feather duster to capture food particles and eat as well without it all going into the sump. Then back on with the pump and everything clears up quickly. I then change my pre-filter media every 3-4 days if I remember as it gets pretty full of everything from food to detritus to pods.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish people would say if they are SPS or LPS tanks. LPS tank here.I feed my wellso's ,favia's and scolly. My frogspawn and hammers get stray food when I feed fish.

dave57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sanjay has 50+ ppm nitrates and 0.4 phosphates and he still feeds fish and coral 3 times a day and no algae problems! Look at his beautiful sps 500 gallon reef

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know enough about the physics of corals to make a I'm not going to feed them call. I feed mine every other day. they are growing fast with great color. I don't target feed them. The meat eaters have an over abundance of pods to feast on so I don't worry about them. The zeovit adds bacteria twice aday when I shake it. So I know everythings eating something I just can't say what. But I can safely say nobody is going hungry in there.

steveaus10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not feed corals! That being said I am a novice at coral keeping so I try to keep an eye on whats happening in my tank and adjust as I go so far so good most coral look good and healthy some not as good as others but for me its the challenge and learning as well as the beauty of nature that keeps me in the hobby and I only call it a hobby for lack of a better term I do not wish to offend any one am always reading comments in order to learn

wranodj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until I started feeding corals they would not last. I have low nitrates and phos, so it's a must for me.

Travous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say however you are doing it now an your corals are not dieying out An look good stick to it sometimes changing what you do changes the balance in your tank An my lead to die offs if it's not broken don't fix it lol

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering what other reefers are doing for feeding their corals. I've recently read a few articles where some, " Mr. Saltwater Tank" for example, are against it because he does not want to add any nutrients into the tank.

You may be interested in the following.

The Coral Reef Exhibit (CRE) at Reef HQ Aquarium in Townsville, Australia.

2.8 million Litre system (3.2 million L in total), fully open to the elements at all times.

During the period 1987 to 2002 the method used for system water quality maintenance is now referred to as the ‘Oceanic Water period’. Coral survival was only 20 - 30%.

In 2002 they made significant changes to the maintenance program, which is termed the ‘Estuarine Water period’. Coral survival rose to 70 - 80%.

What did they change? Several things.

Originally (‘Oceanic Water period’), water changes were done with pristine water, collected by barge, sourced offshore where water depth exceeds 20 m, near the mid-shelf Palm Islands Group. This approach was chosen to ensure clean water for the tank, as inshore waters surrounding Townsville were thought to carry too much sediment, nutrients, etc.

Now (the ‘Estuarine Water period’) water changes are done using water sourced from the incoming tide from the tidal creek (Ross Creek) running directly alongside the aquarium. The corals were starving from a lack of nutrients from the pristine offshore water.

During the Oceanic Water period, filtration was carried out by three large sand filters (20 µm grain size) of 2000 litres each. The sand filters were taken off-line in 2005 to increase plankton productivity within the tank and allow natural settlement of larval organisms coming in with the tidal creek water intakes. No mechanical filtration.

Water circulation was also increased. This, they say was a major improvement, as it circulated the nutrients more efficiently & helped feed the corals.

Calcium levels were raised from 250 mg Ca2+.L-1 to 420 mg Ca2+.L-1.

https://www.burgerszoo.com/about-burgers-zoo/coralhusbandryorg/

See chapters #9 and 26, Section 1: Animal Husbandry and system management.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my goniopora stokesi (target feed: Prime Reef flakes, oyster eggs, oyster feast, blood worms, Reef Chilli, Goniopower). I also have to feed an emaciated brown frogspawn. Before I started feeding it, it was shrinking up. I target feed it Mysis shrimp, blood worms, R.O.E., Reef Chili, Goniopower

Rob Romalino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is low also from what I can tell. I use red sea test kits. Zero nitrate, trace of phosphate. I've been using vibrant for about 2 months,with carbon and phosban in reactors reactors but I've still got hair algae. I feed sparingly twice a day. Diatoms and red algae have disappeared.I have a mixed reef and most corals are doing fine. It's a 100 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump.4 inch naso tang,3 blue chromis, 1 firefish, 1 royal gramma,1 canary wrasse. That's why I was asking about feeding corals because I try not to overdo any feeding but hair algae still hangs around, mostly on plugs and rockwork. SB Reef light 32 WiFi on 10 hrs a day at 40% blue,6 hrs a day at 10% white.
Are you using a sump/refugium or mechanical filtration??

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only a pair of clowns in my 70 gallon and hence I feed all my sps with oyester feast , phytoplankton , BRS Reef chili and of course amino acids as my tank is running ULNS ..

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back