Yes Pox or NoPox

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have this thing called Carbon Dosing. I use Nopox.

It did a great job, along with my skimmer in the first 6-9 months of my system bringing nitrates down from 50ppm to 5ppm.
Now Its been a further 18months, running the same dose, 200g volume dosing 1ml per hour for 10 hours of lights on daily.
Very well stocked mixed DT and I have no complaints of colour and growth, they are excellent IMM. Definitely happy.

After dosing Carbon for two years now, I wonder what the benefits might be. While maybe just marketing, Rea Sea reccomends a daily dosing of carbon (to be used by corals and others) in their Reef Recipe Wizard. I do follow this tool in terms of dosage for all adds.

Others say it’s not required as we “add” carbon through foods and amino dosing, (maybe other things as well).

If using Nopox, Vodka, or Vinegar, am I not just adding more of the same? Or is there something chemically in Nopox which can only be added this way and is required in metabolic processes?

I would certainly appreciate any insight into the “value” of sustained carbon dosing especially from those which have continued carbon dosing for years. Why you do this? Can you share?

Uncle99
020333A9-C92D-4B56-9BFE-2C8660C66527.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Carbon dosing is acceptable But must be monitored as at times, it can bring po4 and no3 to zero and initiate dino

OP
OP
Uncle99

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing is acceptable But must be monitored as at times, it can bring po4 and no3 to zero and initiate dino
Thank you!
Acceptable sure, it certainly didn’t hurt anything. All inhabitants need carbon to survive.

I just don’t understand why I am dosing it.

I understand why I dose CA, MG and Alk, but carbon dose, nope.

I have seen stunning tanks with and without daily carbon doses, all were beautiful, no difference.

Im getting the impression that carbon dosing is mainly to feed and speed initial bacteria populations but after they mature, the carbon dose provides little value and thus can either add to the other carbon sources or discontinued.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Acceptable sure, it certainly didn’t hurt anything. All inhabitants need carbon to survive.

I just don’t understand why I am dosing it.

I understand why I dose CA, MG and Alk, but carbon dose, nope.

I have seen stunning tanks with and without daily carbon doses, all were beautiful, no difference.

Im getting the impression that carbon dosing is mainly to feed and speed initial bacteria populations but after they mature, the carbon dose provides little value and thus can either add to the other carbon sources or discontinued.
If you stop giving supplemental feedings to support your heterotrophic bacteria population the population size will decrease and therefore your total nitrate and phosphate consumption will decrease since carbon is usually the limiting nutrient

OP
OP
Uncle99

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you stop giving supplemental feedings to support your heterotrophic bacteria population the population size will decrease and therefore your total nitrate and phosphate consumption will decrease since carbon is usually the limiting nutrient
Thank you!
Interesting, agreed, N and P will rise.
I have added a macro algae refuge to “offset” the decrease in bacterial processors, hopefully that keeps me on PAR, Nitrate 10-15ppm, phosphate 0.05ppm

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
Interesting, agreed, N and P will rise.
I have added a macro algae refuge to “offset” the decrease in bacterial processors, hopefully that keeps me on PAR, Nitrate 10-15ppm, phosphate 0.05ppm
If you plan to discontinue, it's probably advisable to reduce the dose slowly instead of stopping suddenly as well... possibly Red Sea recommends carbon dosing to boost populations of bacterioplankton which corals can feed on to supplement their nutritional requirements (but as you said, there are beautiful tanks without carbon dosing as well)

OP
OP
Uncle99

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to discontinue, it's probably advisable to reduce the dose slowly instead of stopping suddenly as well... possibly Red Sea recommends carbon dosing to boost populations of bacterioplankton which corals can feed on to supplement their nutritional requirements (but as you said, there are beautiful tanks without carbon dosing as well)
Yup, good advice.
“possibly Red Sea recommends carbon dosing to boost populations of bacterioplankton which corals can feed on to supplement their nutritional requirements”
That’s the part I have concerns with, wouldn’t want to starve them out.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, good advice.
“possibly Red Sea recommends carbon dosing to boost populations of bacterioplankton which corals can feed on to supplement their nutritional requirements”
That’s the part I have concerns with, wouldn’t want to starve them out.
I doubt it would make too much of a difference if you decided to discontinue but why change things up now when you seem to have struck a good balance? You mentioned you're happy with the color and growth of your corals

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back