Yet another B'ham reefer

lysaer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Alabama folk! I'm in Birmingham, well, technically Chelsea, but it counts. I'm new to the reefing hobby but learning fast. Always interested in meeting others in the area!

OP
OP
lysaer

lysaer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I'm really looking forward to meeting the local folk! Where do you guys shop at locally? I discovered Reef Life about a month ago and it's on the way home from work and just a few minutes from the house, and SUPER great customer service!

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the first time I have heard about Reef Life having great customer service. Maybe Mike has an eye for new hobby people and sees dollar signs. He has always been a bit grumpy with me. As far as stores go, Mark and Chris have a store out east on 20/59 called Reef Revolutions. They probably carry the best selection of coral in town. Steve and Steve have a store in Hoover on 31 close to the interstate (close to me) called Aquarium Imports. They are probably the most experienced reefers around, but their coral selection is often quite limited. I occasionally pick up a piece there just to support them, but they never have those crazy eye catching pieces, especially when it comes to SPS. Their fish have always been quite healthy for me. I find the best way to get coral is from fellow reefers and organized frag swaps. One swap that used to be vender only in Birmingham started letting all us crazies in the last two years and it occurs around November. I make a point of going to the Nashville swap put on by the Middle Tennessee Reef Club every year in April. Harry, up in Huntsville, has good stuff and even has a website. My advice if you are looking for some beginner corals check out Reef Revolutions as the tanks on the right as you walk in the door have a variety of easy to keep coral for reasonable prices. If you are looking for more intermediate and advanced coral you can find stuff there too, but the best place will be local reefers and frag swaps. Coral is always cheaper in the latter setting as well.

OP
OP
lysaer

lysaer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually went into Reef Life 3 or 4 times before I even purchased anything there...and I actually compared prices around. Everybody there was very nice and helpful to me... and the other shoppers there were chatty with him and seemed happy to come in. Plus, it does have a serious advantage of only being 5 minutes from my house. The Aquarium place in Hoover by Publix, however, I refuse to ever go in there again. THAT owner is the biggest jerk I've ever tried to do business with.

Good info on the frag swaps! I am very interested in those as in a couple months is when I'm probably going to *really* be looking for corals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back