Yet another clownfish question

juzik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reef community,
So I have 2 ocellaris - orange (black ice) and black (snowflake) clownfishes. I have them since May 21. Now orange is slightly bigger than black one.
I see orange attacks black clownfish and without waiting for any response, starts to shake its body. From aggression, I suppose this is female, but shouldn’t female wait till male starts to shake first, then stop it’s attack and shake back?
I saw couple of times black clownfish was shaking its body, but it was way way rarely than orange clownfish does. I don’t see any aggression at all
from black clownfish. Even though black clownfish was shaking, orange clownfish doesn’t stop her attacks and immediately shakes as well.
From black clownfish’s behavior I see he is scared of orange clownfish, hanging almost near the top of the tank, when orange is nearby. I saw couple of times him laying on the sand in the corner (eating, swimming fine so no disease/ammonia definitely). When feeding, orange clownfish will do everything she can to grab last piece of food from black clownfish.
Orange hosts anemone. When I tried to introduce black in anemone, it looked like he was ok to host, but orange doesn’t allow him, by nipping his fins.
Orange would sleep in anemone, if it wouldnt shrink every night. Black sleeps in water column, somewhere under overflow.
So what would you guys do with this behavior? Wait more time? Timeout?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the male doesn’t have ripped fins and is eating I say give them more time to settle it out.
The female not letting the male in the anemone is completely normal. the female in my pair does the same thing

fishy4thomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 reg ocellaris were fighting for a while but they now get along really well, no fighting whatsoever. My advice would be just wait for a bit. Nipping is fine, as long as entire fins arent torn off or cartilage is broken. If so just put one of them in a QT or buy a HOB refugium .

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clownfish does this to the male too. As long as there isn't any damage to the fins or body, it should be okay.

Back