Yet Another IM Fusion 40 Build

DumpInTheSump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back around August I started getting interested in salt water fish, and I finally pulled the trigger on my first batch of equipment. My brother and I had a fresh water tank when we were little, and that lasted all of about 2 months since I couldn't keep my hands out of the tank. I'm really hoping this one will last longer. I'm probably going top start out with a FOWLR system, but I would like to eventually get corals as well. Honestly, that the one thing I haven't researched too much, so I'm unsure which would be best for a beginner.

BRS had a sale during President's day so I went ahead and purchased:
IM Fusion 40 Gallon tank
BRS 5 stage RO/DI unit
Red Sea Marine test kit

While unpacking the tank there was a couple of time I thought I spotted a crack, but luckily it was just the shipping material playing tricks on me. It was a real pain in the butt getting the thing up on my counter since I screwed up my back earlier in the week at the gym, I would've been more than bummed if I had to pack it up so soon.

bvpBWky.jpg

I'm looking to get the stuff for the aquascape sometime this coming week assuming the tank is in good condition. 30lbs of pukani should do the trick, with 30lbs of sand, a heater, egg crate, a power head, neoprene, and some bacteria to start the cycling process after I bleach the rock.

Last edited:

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30# dry Pukani might be a bit much but at least you'll be able to cherry pick

I have 40# sand in mine and its a solid 2.5-3" sandbed. 30# sounds just right

OP
OP
D

DumpInTheSump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t forget the padding between the tank and stand

I'll be using neoprene when I build the stand.

30# dry Pukani might be a bit much but at least you'll be able to cherry pick

I have 40# sand in mine and its a solid 2.5-3" sandbed. 30# sounds just right

I'm currently planning on drilling and cutting the rock so I wanted some wiggle room. Thanks for the info.

So I've been leak testing the tank for a little over a day, just to be sure I received it in good condition before I toss the huge boxes it came in. I'll be draining it tonight or tomorrow, then it'll be going down stairs. Initially, I planned on having it in my bedroom or in the living room, but after considering the possibility of the tank exploding and wrecking the floor, we decided to put it in the basement. The problem is that it's not finished yet. Luckily my roommate sold his other house and is getting a decent tax return so we'll be getting the ball rolling on that this weekend. We were going to drop by the local hardware store but we ended up without the truck so we're going to have to wait a few more day to buy the lumber for the stand. We're thinking about how we're going to hookup the RO/DI unit since we're going to have a mini bar with a sink down stairs.

OP
OP
D

DumpInTheSump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I decided to go with a long style tank instead. Sold off the 40 fusion and got a decent return despite it being leak tested.

I'm looking at something in the 40-75 gallon range, either a AIO style or tank + sump setup. I'm taking a look at the new Cobalt Aquatics 40g AIO, JBJ 65 AIO and Red Sea 350.

Guess I'll have to rename my thread for whichever one I decide on.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back