Yet another stocking list - Nuvo 30L 30 gallon mixed reef

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love some comments / advice from those that have experience with these fish -

CURRENTLY STOCKED:

1 small extreme Davinci clown 1.75"
1 small BIOTA captive bred Marine Betta - 2.2"
9x Blue leg hermit
4x small Nassarius snails
6x Astrea Snails

DESIRED ADDITIONAL STOCK:

1 small Pygmy Yellow banded possum wrasse
MAYBE 1 biota mandarin (If it'll eat frozen / pellets)
1 fire shrimp if it happens before my betta gets much bigger.
CUC as needed.

My tank will be mixed reef, but is mostly LPS now. It's got a remote refugium that's growing Chaeto well, and water parameters are stable despite overfeeding. Marinepure Gems, refugium, 11W UV sterilizer. Dosing AFR, Phyto, and Microbacter7.

The marine betta and clown get along very well, seem happy to share territory and neither has shown any aggression (for now). They are eating flakes, pellets, and frozen brine. The clown loves live baby brine shrimp, but the betta isn't interested. I don't plan or want to run a skimmer.

I'm aware that in a few years the marine betta may outgrow the tank. I'm counting on using that as an excuse to buy a bigger one, so I hope so. The betta has been in the tank for a month. The clown for two months. Leaning towards adding another soon before anyone becomes too territorial.

Any thoughts? Are these 4 fish too much? Any incompatibility issues likely?

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'd love some comments / advice from those that have experience with these fish -

CURRENTLY STOCKED:

1 small extreme Davinci clown
1 small Marine Betta
9x Blue leg hermit
4x small Nassarius snails
6x Astrea Snails

DESIRED ADDITIONAL STOCK:

1 small Pygmy Yellow banded possum wrasse
MAYBE 1 biota mandarin (If it'll eat frozen / pellets)
1 fire shrimp if it happens before my betta gets much bigger.
CUC as needed.

My tank will be mixed reef, but is mostly LPS now. It's got a remote refugium that's growing Chaeto well, and water parameters are stable despite overfeeding. The marine betta and clown get along very well, seem happy to share territory and neither has shown aggression (for now). They are eating flakes, pellets, and frozen brine. The clown loves live baby brine shrimp, but the betta isn't interested.

I'm aware that in a few years the marine betta may outgrow the tank. I'm counting on using that as an excuse to buy a bigger one, so I hope so.

Any thoughts? Are these 4 fish too much?
I would anticipate that marine beta messes with the shrimp and the mandarin.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's 30 gal....you can add a lot more....particularly since you have a refugium. Just add them slowly. The Beta may get too big. As many crabs...get some emeralds as you want and hermits. Narsarius will keep the white gravel looking white by turning it over. With the Nuvo you may not be able to grow SPS as I don't think their light bars are adequate so you'll have to ditch the top-find a glass or mesh one and new lights...hence the downfall of all-in-ones. I for one don't see the attraction of growing SPS other than after spending tons of money and time being able to say "Look at what I did!" Look at your tank in terms of zones and you can add many types of fish. Those zones are 1. bottom, 2 mid (rockwork), and 3 upper. Lower is for burrowing fish like convict gobies, sand sifting gobbies, shrimp gobies, pistol shrimp, etc. 2, mid are for fish that like to perch and hang around the rockwork like cleaner gobies, cleaner shrimp, clown gobies, algae eating gobies, clownfish etc. 3., upper is for fish that like to swim all around like damsels, (shudder), chromis,
angels, puffers/boxfish, Cardinals, etc. If you limit yourself to lets say just swimmers...then you'll only have a few fish as they will fight for the same territory. Also, if you'll want to add peppermint shrimp then you can't have any of the other shrimp, except pistols which get along fine with the peppers...mine even share the pistols burrow. In a tank that size you can't have any big swimmers like most angels,foxes, etc...it's just to cruel. Small angels and some butterflies will make it. The "studies" regarding number of fish one can have are oft repeated very outmoded studies done long ago when aquarium filtration was water changes and growing plants, lighting was incandescent bulbs hanging over the top, (also the source of heat} and heating was accomplished by having kerosine heaters or electric heaters placed beneath the tank...hence why the early tanks had slate bottoms, or you placed them on your cast iron heaters. Refer to any of Dr Ennis's books from the 30's or 40's for the descriptions. And yes some of the earliest tanks were saltwater as a fad in the 20's was keeping seahorses.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's 30 gal....you can add a lot more....particularly since you have a refugium. Just add them slowly. The Beta may get too big. As many crabs...get some emeralds as you want and hermits. Narsarius will keep the white gravel looking white by turning it over. With the Nuvo you may not be able to grow SPS as I don't think their light bars are adequate so you'll have to ditch the top-find a glass or mesh one and new lights...hence the downfall of all-in-ones. I for one don't see the attraction of growing SPS other than after spending tons of money and time being able to say "Look at what I did!" Look at your tank in terms of zones and you can add many types of fish. Those zones are 1. bottom, 2 mid (rockwork), and 3 upper. Lower is for burrowing fish like convict gobies, sand sifting gobbies, shrimp gobies, pistol shrimp, etc. 2, mid are for fish that like to perch and hang around the rockwork like cleaner gobies, cleaner shrimp, clown gobies, algae eating gobies, clownfish etc. 3., upper is for fish that like to swim all around like damsels, (shudder), chromis,
angels, puffers/boxfish, Cardinals, etc. If you limit yourself to lets say just swimmers...then you'll only have a few fish as they will fight for the same territory. Also, if you'll want to add peppermint shrimp then you can't have any of the other shrimp, except pistols which get along fine with the peppers...mine even share the pistols burrow. In a tank that size you can't have any big swimmers like most angels,foxes, etc...it's just to cruel. Small angels and some butterflies will make it. The "studies" regarding number of fish one can have are oft repeated very outmoded studies done long ago when aquarium filtration was water changes and growing plants, lighting was incandescent bulbs hanging over the top, (also the source of heat} and heating was accomplished by having kerosine heaters or electric heaters placed beneath the tank...hence why the early tanks had slate bottoms, or you placed them on your cast iron heaters. Refer to any of Dr Ennis's books from the 30's or 40's for the descriptions. And yes some of the earliest tanks were saltwater as a fad in the 20's was keeping seahorses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with low bio load fish (Gobies, blennies ect) then you can have WAY more, I have 8 fish in my 20g max nano. Those 8 include:
- Naoko Fairy Wrasse (Temporary)
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (Temporary)
- Hectors Goby
- Yasha Goby
- Griessinger Goby
- Acicularis Clown Goby
- Linear Blenny
- Pink Streak Wrasse

I plan for a group of small gobies (Potentially Trimma cana or Trimma pamae) to replace my two large wrasses when they go into my 4’ tank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back