Stocking 80 gallon

pseudodiego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I'm upgrading from an 30 gallon with a 10 gallon sump to an 80 gallon tank(120x50x50 cm) with a 30 gallon sump. It will be a mixed reef tank.

This is what I have currently in the 30 gallon tank:

Fish
-2 clownfish
-1 purple firefish and 1 red firefish (Together for 7 months without incidents, and hoping for it to stay that way in the new tank)
-1 Yellow Watchman Goby.
-1 Mandarin dragonet (I breed pods in a separate tank for it)

Inverts
-5 Trochus Snails
-1 Strawberry conch
-3 Turbo Snails
-5 Nassarius Snail
-2 skunk cleaner

This is the stock that I have planned for the 80 gallon:

Fish:
-2 clownfish
-1 purple firefish and 1 red firefish
-1 Yellow Watchman Goby
-2 Mandarin Dragonet.
-3 Royal Gramma (Buying them very small and together so they form an harem)
-1 Tailspot blenny
-1 Copperband butterflyfish
-2 Banggai cardinalFish (Not sure about this one, I have read about buying three together, hoping for a pair, and selling the odd one)

Inverts:
-15 Trochus Snails
-10 Nassarius Snails
-3 Strawberry conch
-5 Turbo Snails
-5 Cerithium Snails
-2 skunk cleaner
-1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus Belullus)
-3 Tuxedo Urchins
-1 Ophiolepis superba

Is that an ok stocking for a 80 gallon tank? Would you change anything?

Thanks.

Last edited:

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks ok overall but I am definitely not an expert. I would say though to remove the copper and as on Live Aquaria it says minimum tank size of 120. It could be happy but I would say replace that guy. Plus they can be a big struggle to feed.

OP
OP
pseudodiego

pseudodiego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks ok overall but I am definitely not an expert. I would say though to remove the copper and as on Live Aquaria it says minimum tank size of 120. It could be happy but I would say replace that guy. Plus they can be a big struggle to feed.

The copperband is almost my sole reason to upgrade, it is my favourite fish, so I'll try my luck with that one. I plan to have all kind of food ready before getting it, including life food.
Still, the ones in the store where I buy my fish seem to eat frozen Mysis and Artemia voraciously, and I'm avoiding any kind of tang and other fish that may stress it.

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like people exaggerate how finicky the copper bands are. Not that you don’t come across ones that won’t eat, but the lfs I work at gets them regularly and I’d say 90% of them take frozen food day one and never have issue after that.

That being said, an adult copper will definitely be large in a 80. It’ll be fine for a while but long term should prob be moved

OP
OP
pseudodiego

pseudodiego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like people exaggerate how finicky the copper bands are. Not that you don’t come across ones that won’t eat, but the lfs I work at gets them regularly and I’d say 90% of them take frozen food day one and never have issue after that.

That being said, an adult copper will definitely be large in a 80. It’ll be fine for a while but long term should prob be moved
I'll upgrade again in 2/3 years after we move out to a bigger home, so no problem there.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back