YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That blueface is adorable!! :D

How has it been 6 months already!?!? haha Sounds like you've done a huge amount of work and the pups don't seem to be interested in much but being on the couch with you :p haha it must be so nice being able to sit out on the porch and have coffee! :)

I can't wait to see some pics of all this! I'm definitely keenly awaiting updates on the insta page you have going haha I'm bit jealous of all the space you've got to be able to set up such a dedicated to fermenting and brewing though! Homemade salami is just the best too!!

the Blueface has hunkered down in the rocks for what’s almost been a week. I’ve been heavy broadcast feeding, so I suspect it’s coming out to grab morsels when the glow is back on. I’ve been able to get a visual on it if I sit around for 10 or 15 minutes. From what I hear is they all start this way, then migrate to being bullied and in charge. Party of the reason I’ll add all the fish at once.

its crazy time has flown this fast, doesn’t make me feel like I’ve been moving as slow ai thought in this new tank.

what I’ve realized from being furloughed, is that my hobbies all equal a full

Sigh....you dont brew Salami, Wrangy.o_O

Apologies for Wrangy...he's an Aussie so he's a wee bit off.
But it's adorable when he chimes in, so we keep him around.

;)

got me thinking about an Italian Sub Gose, brewed with banana peppers, garnished with hots.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I cans here to update was that my tank was nearly overflowing tonight. Like right over the sides of the tank.

What could be wrong, I thought.

um, my GSP has grown through the weirs of the overflow, and was restricting surface skimming and draining. 30 minutes later with some good scissors, we’re back to normal. This must have been slowly climbing for a while now. Good thing I'm so observant

CA2E21B7-7156-43E0-B00F-9CAE6F1043C6.jpeg
C2F6030D-1450-4EE4-96D0-9350BE1ED27B.jpeg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard mixed reviews on damsel fish. I'm curious if I could get shoaling in the tank? I'm definitely trying to get my fish list together and let all of them in at once.

Damsels are not going to shoal, from my experience. They all look for a place to sleep and call home, which they will defend between each other.
Most of the time they wander off and explore, until they come to close to another damsel territory and get "noticed"... :rolleyes:

Add them after all other fish are introduced and settled.

Nepenthes88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Okay so I just go through your entire build thread. Your tank is truly an inspiration!

I really want to try to replicate the look of zoas coming right up to the base of SPS. In one of your posts you mentioned that if you don't trim the zoas back, they'll most likely end up killing the SPS.

What method do you use to trim your zoas? I find it extremely difficult. I usually use tweezers and try to peel them off. Am I just using the wrong tool for the job?

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are not going to shoal, from my experience. They all look for a place to sleep and call home, which they will defend between each other.
Most of the time they wander off and explore, until they come to close to another damsel territory and get "noticed"... :rolleyes:

Add them after all other fish are introduced and settled.

I'm having a hard time finding any fish these days, supply chains have been halted I think for most places/people right now.

Luckily I've got all the angels I would like for now!

Wow! Okay so I just go through your entire build thread. Your tank is truly an inspiration!

I really want to try to replicate the look of zoas coming right up to the base of SPS. In one of your posts you mentioned that if you don't trim the zoas back, they'll most likely end up killing the SPS.

What method do you use to trim your zoas? I find it extremely difficult. I usually use tweezers and try to peel them off. Am I just using the wrong tool for the job?

Wow! Thanks for sticking it out, and for the kind words.

This tank started as a softy/lps tank, and then evolved into an SPS heavy tank. What I do now is if I add a new frag, I stick it right over the zoas, crushing them and sealing them with epoxy and super glue. Then the zoas rise up again around the SPS base. I don't do this because I hate them, I do this because I detest having to trim my zoas.

Zoa fragging is much more tedious than acropora. A lot of the matting zoas that are on my rock will likely be there indefinitely, as I have no desire to try and remove them. If they are on a plug, I will rip the plug out and let them grow back in around the empty space. Sometimes I will just put flat surfaces down for the zoas to grow onto so I can just rip them out. If I actually have a frag that I can pull out, I'll use a scalpel and essentially make frags with the focus that I imagine comes with performing surgery.

I don't know if that answered your question, but there's my 2c, haha

Nepenthes88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank started as a softy/lps tank, and then evolved into an SPS heavy tank. What I do now is if I add a new frag, I stick it right over the zoas, crushing them and sealing them with epoxy and super glue. Then the zoas rise up again around the SPS base. I don't do this because I hate them, I do this because I detest having to trim my zoas.

Haha I guess this will have to be the answer. Thanks for responding!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the little Blueface a week ago yesterday. It pretty much has hunkered in the rocks since I've acclimated it. I feed the tank about 3 times a day, and our routine pretty much goes: Flow off>LRS/Angel SF Blend>baste intermittently for 10 minutes>flow on.

Well, the Blueface has always been in the shadows, usually poking it's head out, but today was the day it ventured all the way out. I know it's been eating, but it's nice to get a visual on it, an confirm that it was indeed not starving and pretty thick still. I've been dropping live blackworms into it's usual haunts and hidey holes. The video only captures a short moment of interaction, but I can already tell that this little fish will soon be a voracious eater and probably the tank bully to boot. I'll cherish it's current timid nature while it lasts.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imperators are a beautiful fish with lots of personality. There was one here at a local store for many years, (Clyde) who would grunt when fed. You could hear it from several feet away.

Truly a stunning fish to add to any aquarium.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just the tank is beautiful, but the room and the setting of it as well. It really all goes together well.

A slightly larger version of your tank is exactly what I’m in the process of building right now. It’s going to be a bit larger at 115 gallons, but it’s still going to be a 3’ peninsula like your tank. I live in a second floor apartment that is mostly what I call a “beige dungeon”. I’m going to see if I can convince my landlord to let me install a faux-brick wall so it looks similar to yours or install a natural lap-board sort of wall behind the tank, but I don’t want to push things - he doesn’t know I’m building an aquarium that is as large as it is!

:eek:

Again, I really like the integrated look you achieved with the brick, the oak stand, and the system itself. Really, it’s something people like me hope to achieve.

95A78194-FF06-4CB0-A6A2-C20CC6F32062.gif

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imperators are a beautiful fish with lots of personality. There was one here at a local store for many years, (Clyde) who would grunt when fed. You could hear it from several feet away.

Truly a stunning fish to add to any aquarium.

Clyde sounds like a hoot! I've not heard the grunts yet, but this fish has already been a package of personality. And a hungry hungry hippo.

Not just the tank is beautiful, but the room and the setting of it as well. It really all goes together well.

A slightly larger version of your tank is exactly what I’m in the process of building right now. It’s going to be a bit larger at 115 gallons, but it’s still going to be a 3’ peninsula like your tank. I live in a second floor apartment that is mostly what I call a “beige dungeon”. I’m going to see if I can convince my landlord to let me install a faux-brick wall so it looks similar to yours or install a natural lap-board sort of wall behind the tank, but I don’t want to push things - he doesn’t know I’m building an aquarium that is as large as it is!

:eek:

Again, I really like the integrated look you achieved with the brick, the oak stand, and the system itself. Really, it’s something people like me hope to achieve.

95A78194-FF06-4CB0-A6A2-C20CC6F32062.gif

Thanks for the kind words!

So this tank has actually moved with me in this build thread, and is no longer up against it's brick wall! Here is one of the last shots I have from 9/2018 a month before I moved into a house.

48744905763_1635741ade_k.jpg

Here's one of my favorite shots in it's new space.

49824107777_cfb41a8439_k.jpg

I did put the brick wall in myself, if you do manage to get permission from you landlord, I would suggest you get them to pay for it. It completely upped not only the aesthetic in the place, but it also helped me acquire renters faster, and when I sold it, upped the value significantly. I plan on putting one downstairs when I setup my big tank, but that's many projects away from now.

The tank also sounds really nice! I've found the nano to be manageable, but if I've walked away with anything, it's that peninsula's are the way to roll!

Last edited:
OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but not sorry if everybody is sick of these videos!

Here's a quick little preview of the 150 with all the Angelfish in it. x2 Goldflakes, x1 Blueface, x1 Imperator.

When I put the Imperator in, I decided to feed it in the bucket, you know, the less waste I have in the tub the better. It ate like a champion. Then I fed the tank once I put it in, and it surveyed it's new temporary land. Shortly after the lights went out and they all found their sleeping spaces.

Next morning, I was shocked. How did I lose such a big fish?! Well, turned off the pumps, and fed the tank, and bigge came out of the rocks. With the addition of more fish, the other fish are becoming less shy, it's like they are all learning from each other. The Blueface, which spent a week + in the rocks, has now taken to being out and about no problem, and the Goldflakes were the same way for much longer than I anticipated. The imperator stays hidden, but comes out for food every.single.time. So I'll continue to feed often!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More videos, more videos! haha They're such gorgeous fish and they all look incredibly healthy :D Those goldflakes are such cute little fatties!! :D I can't wait to see everyone in the big tank finally man!!!

Thanks mate! thus far I’ve been very lucky, they are all good eaters, and get along. I also just randomly grabbed an Achilles this evening. That ol’ boy has his own tub, and is another one of my holy grail tangs. My fish list is probably complete at this stage, the Achilles and the imperator are both pretty big.

If I add anything else, it’ll probably be about 10-15 blue eyed cardinal fish, but I don’t want to do those without putting them through a proper QT.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mate! thus far I’ve been very lucky, they are all good eaters, and get along. I also just randomly grabbed an Achilles this evening. That ol’ boy has his own tub, and is another one of my holy grail tangs. My fish list is probably complete at this stage, the Achilles and the imperator are both pretty big.

If I add anything else, it’ll probably be about 10-15 blue eyed cardinal fish, but I don’t want to do those without putting them through a proper QT.

You lucky duck! The Achillies is my DREAM fish but just won't work in my tank ;Sorry

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back