OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the biggest update is some new fish acquisitions.

Here's a video of the Copperband that I've added with the Angelfish, it's a big one, and a great eater. I've had great sucuess with Copperbands before, and would probably rate them more difficult than the angelfish. Luckily they all seem to be getting along swimmingly, pun intended.

BUT WAIT, there's more. This is the new Achilles. I threw it in it's own tub, as it's been QT'd already, but it's a picture perfect specimin. I'm debating giving it to a buddy who actually has a 250+ as it was sold as 4", but is definitly closer to 6-7". You can already see it's going to be the boss of any tank it goes into, so I'm debating if I should just add it in with all my other fish at the same time when the tank gets setup. There's also no guarantee that all the fish that are in the same tub already will get along when I move them into a new tank, so there is that.

If anybody is wondering what/how I make my music selections, I just scroll through the list of YouTube music available, and randomly add whatever I click on, so far it's been working out, lol.

Oh, and here's a blast from the past I stumbled upon. The tank back when it was super young and mostly softys and lps:

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent kept up with the entire thread...what size tank is the upgrade (in reference to the Achilles)?

That's a very healthy Achilles.

All in all, I think I’ll have 210 gallons or so, about 180 of that swimming space. I’ve decided it’s going to go in my buddy’s tank, it’s beautiful, but it needs more space. Josh subtly got into my head, and I was like, you know what, I don’t see a 300 in my life anytime soon!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in all, I think I’ll have 210 gallons or so, about 180 of that swimming space. I’ve decided it’s going to go in my buddy’s tank, it’s beautiful, but it needs more space. Josh subtly got into my head, and I was like, you know what, I don’t see a 300 in my life anytime soon!

Tough choices, but you gotta do what's in the best interest of the fish long term :)

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm not sure if I updated this when it happened, but 2/18, I found out my alk consumption had picked up quite a bit. I upped from 15 to 20ml a day of each solution of ESV almost 2 months ago. Then I went from 20ml to 30ml, and last I tested my alk it was still dropping. Turned all the way up to 50ml of each solution per day, and have now held steady at 8.60dKH for 2 days.

I find this uptick astounding, but just in finding balance, I'm seeing brighter colors and tips again. Even more astounding, while some of the acros showed signs of being unhappy, others thrived... or at least continued to grow with no issues presented.

Lesson: I need to continue to test my alkalinity daily for a while here until I get the alkatronic setup.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shout out to @SkiCatTX who has been slowly reading this build from the very first post to this one! I have been waiting for you to get here for what feels like a few months!

EEB5C81A-EA8A-4ACE-BD22-FBF16A25A2E7.jpeg

I appreciate the time you’ve taken!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, was just about to post! Love the nano, wish mine looked as good. Hopefully I’ll do better with the new 180.

And you have quite a collection of fish, can’t wait to see the tank set up.

Nanos are really easy to make them look like they are full on account of being, well, nano! Loving the 180 build, if I can come out looking anywhere as nice as what you've put together I'll be happy!

I second that shout out! His is one of my favorite builds to follow, along with this one obvi.

Flattery will get you everywhere!

I find that often as hobbyists (I'm guilty of this myself) we're very forthcoming with our successes, but the failures tend not to get documented. I'm coming up to some hurdles, and I've decided to commit myself to keeping an active log.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows over here. I'll start with the cool. I bought a green bubble tip anemone just before all this lock down, but threw it in the stock tank with the maroon clown. It was happy in it's location, and I really just wanted to see if the lights were enough for it. Well, it disappeared a while ago after being in the same place for about 2 months, and this morning I've found 3 GBTAs. I'm presuming it was stress splitting. The only other alternative is it's super comfortable, and I have a harder time believing that. All the corals that were on the rock are I bought are coloring up, so it's cool to see hidden surprises popping up all over the tank, that survived through the PO's GHA issues and poor husbandry.

The bad. I've had the maroon and powder brown in their own stock tank for the whole time, but yesterday the powder brown presented with white worms coming out all over it's body and face. They are long and stringy, and I have not seen anything like it, I'll have to post up in that forum to start getting some advice. Although, I know i'll have to start with a freshwater dip, which terrifies me for some strange reason.

The Imperator in the other tub is rocking a serious case of ich, and upon closer look the recent addition copperband looks to maybe have a small bacterial infection on its side.

The good news is all the fish are happily eating, so I'm glad they have an appetite.

The bad news: I'll have to run the new tank fallow for 3 months with the rock while I actually prophylacticly treat all the fish, most likely same time same tub.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that is a roller coaster to read! I'm glad you've got a plan for everyone and I'm sure you'll have them fighting fit in no time! The worms on the tang sounds horrifying haha

It still is a roller coaster ride. Did a freshwater dip for the first time in my life, and it was really nerve wrecking. That tang is fast, and I worry with all the catching for the dipping is going to cause it more stress than just starting a treatment. I need to do more work out figuring out WHAT it is.

As for the nano, close to the start of 2020 I found that my alkalinity consumption just started to skyrocket, so I had been playing the catch up game trying to balance out my dosing act for a few weeks. I went back to my doser and somehow back in mid April it came unplugged/shorted/stopped working, and I tested my alk around 4/24/20 and found it was 4.80dKH! I slowly raised it up and now I have kept it steady for the past 2 weeks at 8.5, my usual range.

It's funny how some of the coral reacted poorly (which is why I started looking at everything) and some of the coral flipped into survival mode and got more colorful and grew faster. I have a nice green milli that isn't loving it, but it will be fine. Same with my ASD Rainbow Milli, the tip has bleached out, but it will also survive and make a comeback. Other than that, everything else looks the same...

You can see the ASD Rainbow top right, and the green milli on the whole bottom of this photo:
49903281547_95aed90d66_k.jpg

49902459393_993d2a2960_k.jpg

This is a lot of fire sitting on this frag rack. I'm not going to say what everything is, bc a lot of it doesn't look close. I took my par the past couple of days, and realized these were sitting at about 120, which is nowhere near enough. I've turned my lights up again.
49903281467_bfb87b0a56_k.jpg

49902973331_d9c999f7fd_k.jpg

Chlorinated

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still is a roller coaster ride. Did a freshwater dip for the first time in my life, and it was really nerve wrecking. That tang is fast, and I worry with all the catching for the dipping is going to cause it more stress than just starting a treatment. I need to do more work out figuring out WHAT it is.

As for the nano, close to the start of 2020 I found that my alkalinity consumption just started to skyrocket, so I had been playing the catch up game trying to balance out my dosing act for a few weeks. I went back to my doser and somehow back in mid April it came unplugged/shorted/stopped working, and I tested my alk around 4/24/20 and found it was 4.80dKH! I slowly raised it up and now I have kept it steady for the past 2 weeks at 8.5, my usual range.

It's funny how some of the coral reacted poorly (which is why I started looking at everything) and some of the coral flipped into survival mode and got more colorful and grew faster. I have a nice green milli that isn't loving it, but it will be fine. Same with my ASD Rainbow Milli, the tip has bleached out, but it will also survive and make a comeback. Other than that, everything else looks the same...

You can see the ASD Rainbow top right, and the green milli on the whole bottom of this photo:

This is a lot of fire sitting on this frag rack. I'm not going to say what everything is, bc a lot of it doesn't look close. I took my par the past couple of days, and realized these were sitting at about 120, which is nowhere near enough. I've turned my lights up again.

Tank looks great!

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that shout out! His is one of my favorite builds to follow, along with this one obvi.
Nanos are really easy to make them look like they are full on account of being, well, nano! Loving the 180 build, if I can come out looking anywhere as nice as what you've put together I'll be
Thanks guys! Should be way more interesting once I have things IN the tank. I’ve had to get by watching all the great tanks here for now, I’ve mostly lost interest in my old tanks during this period, knowing I’m going to gut them soon... just need to keep everyone alive for a couple more months...

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Despite the issues things are looking great still!! :D I've got my fingers and toes crossed for a super speedy recovery for everyone!!

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE TANK LOOKS ABSOLUTELY KILLER!
hands down my favorite nano tank. how you manage to keep all those corals alive jam packed is beyond my skill level

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE TANK LOOKS ABSOLUTELY KILLER!
hands down my favorite nano tank. how you manage to keep all those corals alive jam packed is beyond my skill level

Thanks! Unfortunately it's seemingly beyond my skill level as well. :(

I've been absent on the boards mostly because work just became overbearing for the past month. During that time, I have had an extraordinarily hard time with my dosing regiment to gain consistency. As it sits, I have lost 1 wild colony, and a quarter of my colonies/acros are bleached out. I don't know if they will survive, but I hope they will with some continued husbandry. Some of them are acting like there's not even a problem, so that's also weird.

So what went wrong?

Since the doser disconnect, I have had to fill up my dosing containers almost weekly. I've also had a spike in alk (I mean, only 9.5, but still not good considering I keep my alk at 8.5) and haven't tested today, but hopefully back on the right track.

I was reading another thread about a lot of problems going back to water quality, and I thought, "when was the last time I changed any of my RO/DI filters?" Answer, a long time ago. This weekend I swapped out all 4 filters on my RO/DI as well as the membrane, I didn't check the TDS before the swap, but I'm down to 0 now, as it should be!

About 2 weeks ago I lost all my angelfish. I suspect my last addition had something that did the trick. I literally lost thousands of dollars in fish by being lazy and careless, in a rush to get this new tank setup. I now have to QT the rock for 90 days.

I took a one week vacation to North Carolina beaches, and just got back yesterday, so I also had dog/house/tank sitters, I figured a week away would probably do the tank well, but the corals looked worse, so I was wrong on that front. The bleaching happened over the 6 days I was away.

There was some salt creep on the side of the tank as well, the gsp has started clogging up the overflow again, so I had to carve all that out to lower the water line. It's becoming quite the chore.

Upon returning, I also found a tennis ball lump on my oldest dogs throat. We have a vet appointment tomorrow 8am, so I'm hoping it's just salivary mucocele and not lymphoma.

If you made it this far, I know what you're thinking: "Man, your life sounds like a country song right now." And I didn't mention this, because it's not really tank related, but my truck did get a flat driving back home from vacation, so you're pretty much right, just waiting for my girlfriend to leave me at this stage!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm hoping I can get it back on track, but as we all know, those kind of changes take weeks and months, so I'll keep on keeping on.

And thanks, my stomach is in knots over him, hoping it's nothing major.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back