YMW Goby and Lawnmower Blenny?

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I've had a YWM Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair in my tank for a month now, well established basically a city underneath all of my rocks. I love them

I was just browsing at my LFS last weekend and my daughter saw a lawnmower blenny that she just had to have, she cried when we left the store without it. I've never seen her this into the aquarium so I of course went back the next day and purchased it with assurance from my LFS owner that it will be fine in my 40 gallon breeder with the Goby. He's close to 4 inches if I had to guess, so by far the biggest fish in my tank between the goby, clownfish, and a royal gramma.

My issue is the Goby has been acting very strange since the LMB was introduced, he's been in random places in my tank, hiding in corners, up on rock work, before I've never seen him more than a couple inches from the pistol shrimp around the rocks. I have seen zero aggression from the blenny, but it does hang around near the Gobies home and has been snapped at by the pistol shrimp.

I would've already given back "Lenny the Blenny" By now but I know my daughter will be crushed. Any chance the Goby gets used to the blenny? It just seems intimidated by its size alone, if the blenny swims anywhere close by the Goby will bolt.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, good chance it'll get used to the new fish. Those 2 generally shouldn't have an issue with one another.

OP
OP
J

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, good chance it'll get used to the new fish. Those 2 generally shouldn't have an issue with one another.
Ok so that is a thing for them to just feel threatened and calm down? Hasn’t been eating much lately either but have shot some food down his hiding hole lol

Zorya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a goby with 2 starry blennies and I'm about to get a goby to go with my starry and midas blenny. Once the goby and blenny (re)establish territories, it should be fine.

I also relate to your daughter because every time I got into the fish store and see a blenny I start crying over wanting to get it, but you can't just jam 100 blennies into the same tank :(

It's all about the eyebrows

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back