OP
SPS Samurai

SPS Samurai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, Albert I always do. With tanks this size I just prefer to stay away from any type of automatic dosing. One slip up and it could be a recipe for disaster. I checked the Mg it was low as well at 1200. Did a dosing and will test again this evening then re-dose in the morning if the levels aren't to my liking. The system is settling in nicely, so I just want to let it grow for a few months before adding any more frags. I'd like to find a unique crocea clam next time around. Im very surprised that the corals are consuming such a high amount of supplements this early, but hey that just means they're growing. Can't hate that!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, Albert I always do. With tanks this size I just prefer to stay away from any type of automatic dosing. One slip up and it could be a recipe for disaster. I checked the Mg it was low as well at 1200. Did a dosing and will test again this evening then re-dose in the morning if the levels aren't to my liking. The system is settling in nicely, so I just want to let it grow for a few months before adding any more frags. I'd like to find a unique crocea clam next time around. Im very surprised that the corals are consuming such a high amount of supplements this early, but hey that just means they're growing. Can't hate that!

Yes indeed with everything in that tank better be safe than sorry ... now on depletion of nutrients, not sure if you read this article on Magnesium and what depletes it, and of course if your Mg is low it becomes harder to maintain Ca levels ... you may have read it but here it is in case you have not :

Aquarium Chemistry: Magnesium In Reef Aquaria — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Good idea on letting everything settles down for a while before you add more life forms and on Clams .. well they are great but I always recommend when asked to do a lot of research before adding one and making sure what to check for on it before purchasing one to make sure nothing is wrong with it and that it does not have pests on or in it, etc.. but there are lots of stickies on the site here about Clams :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SPS Samurai

SPS Samurai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow .. some real nice PE and a large number at the base !

Yeah, this thing is weird. At first glance it looks like it keeps it's polyps retracted. Then you notice purple and pink flashes in the current and its the PE!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, this thing is weird. At first glance it looks like it keeps it's polyps retracted. Then you notice purple and pink flashes in the current and its the PE!
Interesting indeed and the pic really shows them well and a large number of them ... Nice !

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an Acro but a Paly real close up ..

PalyCloseUp.jpg

OP
OP
SPS Samurai

SPS Samurai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only used my iPhone 5. Im not the best photographer, but Im thrilled to have taken this shot. I've never seen the oral cavity of a live Acropora unless it was spawning. Even then the mouth would be swollen and gaping. I've conversed with other expert SPS keepers and they have never seen it either. Maybe when the light hit the super extended PE and the transparent polyps, I was just lucky enough to grab the shot. The cavity must be smaller than the point of a needle! This is definitely one of the highlights for me being in the hobby.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only used my iPhone 5. Im not the best photographer, but Im thrilled to have taken this shot. I've never seen the oral cavity of a live Acropora unless it was spawning. Even then the mouth would be swollen and gaping. I've conversed with other expert SPS keepers and they have never seen it either. Maybe when the light hit the super extended PE and the transparent polyps, I was just lucky enough to grab the shot. The cavity must be smaller than the point of a needle! This is definitely one of the highlights for me being in the hobby.

Wow those are great shots for using just an iPhone ... I think there is a sort of lens you can add Olli or something like it that allows you to make really high end macro shots and if I remember correctly it is not all that costly .. around $70 I think and comes with several lenses, but that is from memory ... I am planning to get one from the Apple store here in Atlanta, just have to find the time to drive to it :)

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is actually called ollo or olloclip ... just googled it .. .

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • Full frame

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 47 36.7%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back