YOU HATE IT! "Tank tasks" that you wish you could pay someone to do?

Is there "tank tasks" that you wish you could pay someone to do?

• Yes there are things I would rather not do

Votes: 226 44.3%
  • No, part of the hobby is the tank tasks

Votes: 277 54.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love doing everything with my tank including maintenance! It gives me a real sense of satisfaction looking at the tank after a water change and sand vacuum! There is however something that I would pay someone to take care of once and for all... I would definitely pay someone if they could get rid of my aptasia once and for all!! All the remedies help, filefish, aptasia x, Frank's f aptasia, etc... they just always seem to come back. I tried ordering some berghia but they don't ship outside the continental us..

20200412_164532.jpg

SebastianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chasing down salt creep I hate it but I would never have anyone touch my tank so it’s on me

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Cleaning my sump including changing out filter media/socks and cleaning bio sponges
2. I don't currently pay for anything, though I've considered it

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 Clean the macro algae off the frt of my tank. I've tried about every scraper mentioned here on R2R & its like trying to scrape concrete.
2. Remove & replace Sump socks & clean the skimmer cub.
3. Remove anything that might have died so I don't see it & feel bad.

Denise&JoelRod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate and love the neptune apex. Every time I add something to it or what it to do something different.This thing is by far the most frustrating on a reef tank.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the top five in order:
  • pruning back / fragging corals that are growing into each other (about once a month)
  • testing (not often enough, mainly due to everything thriving)
  • water changes (10% quarterly)
  • cleaning the front and side glass (every other day)
  • harvesting chaeto from sump (every couple of weeks)

damselindistress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to never have to fool with water changes, testing, or cleaning pumps ever again. I do them, I just don't like them.

I hated mixing my own saltwater so I started buying purified sea water and that's made it a breeze.

I don't mind cleaning the skimmer, oddly enough. I don't mind cleaning the glass or changing out the filter pads. I don't mind manual dosing, prefer it actually because a poorly calibrated dosing pump really messed my tank up for a while. Granted, I was the one that calibrated it so it was on me, I just decided to dose All for Reef and be done with it, my tank is only 60 gallons so I dose after the evening feed just before lights out. No biggie and my tank has finally reached stability.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never pay anyone to do anything to my tank. If something happens I dont want anyone to blame but myself. Plus I'm obsessed (OCD) and like the maintainance side of the tank.
me too lol I def. got OCD about the glass which I clean almost daily.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to never have to fool with water changes, testing, or cleaning pumps ever again. I do them, I just don't like them.

I hated mixing my own saltwater so I started buying purified sea water and that's made it a breeze.

I don't mind cleaning the skimmer, oddly enough. I don't mind cleaning the glass or changing out the filter pads. I don't mind manual dosing, prefer it actually because a poorly calibrated dosing pump really messed my tank up for a while. Granted, I was the one that calibrated it so it was on me, I just decided to dose All for Reef and be done with it, my tank is only 60 gallons so I dose after the evening feed just before lights out. No biggie and my tank has finally reached stability.
Oh I didn't think of that! I totally agree!!

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate filter socks. I hate cleaning filter socks. Would I pay someone to do that chore? No. It’s a messy job that anyone paid to do it won’t do it to the level I want it done. Now, would I buy a sump with a auto filter roller? Check! Did that and not looking back!

mtnbikeracer76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2.

1. Vacuuming the substrate. But I usually do this when doing a water change.

2. Testing water parameters

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to reef tanks there are some "tasks" that you just don't want to do! If money were no object and you had the resources local to you maybe you could, maybe you do! I personally wish I could pay someone to come and pull all the hair algae from my tank! I also hate cleaning up the dust and salt creep that get everywhere. I'm not lazy my tank is just BIG! :p

So let's talk about that today!

1. What do you wish you could pay someone to do that you hate doing?

2. What DO YOU pay someone else to do now for you?

Pay someone to do.jpg
I wouldn't trust anyone else to do the maintenance on my system even if I don't have time to do it myself. Normally I enjoy it.

Have you ever thought of paying someone to take pictures of your tank so you can update your build thread? :p ;Troll;Troll;Troll

temfinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you wish you could pay someone to do that you hate doing?
Testing water parameters to determine daily consumption of Alk, & Ca.

2. What DO YOU pay someone else to do now for you?

Nothing at all, i don't like people touching my tank!

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to clean 6 filter socks from 4 tanks 2-3 times a week. Not my favorite chore.

But, found how to make it fun, for me anyway. I put a small ramekin with a little tank water (2 tablespoons) next to the rinse sink. Then I collect all the amphipods that are on the sock that I can find, usually 6 or so. I then dump the pods into one of the tanks and watch the fish go after them. Usually a wrasse is the winner, winner, Amphipod dinner!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 6.3%
Back