You make the call...

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh....... your right, this member just wanted to put EM in a bad light. Does that go the same for everyone who has had a bad experience with EM??
We don't know what exactly happened. Has EM been a part of this thread to respond and defend themselves. Nope. We don't have a clear picture here. I'm not understanding the hate from you. All I want is the truth. You seem to want to only hear one side.

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh......... Two sides to every story.

Why? There are two sides to EVERY situation. Just listening to one side without the other is preposterous. People right poor reviews etc. all the time just because they can. Only fanboy I'm a member of is facts and the truth.

I find it odd you feel the need to make a thread to air out your situation with EM. I mean I've had issues with companies before and I don't go online to post about it. The point of your thread was to paint EM in a bad light.
Imagine the state of this hobby and this forum for that matter without the ability to reach out to other reefers on concerns that involve any manufacturer of any piece of equipment with the only outlet to resolve being to communicate in private with companies and nothing more. Ask yourself to what disadvantage would that put the enthusiast (customer) at?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking apart the pump upon receipt is ridiculous to me, but honestly, if I were concerned I would ask them to prove their confidence with extending the warranty period....... Wouldn’t anything they send that works until beyond the warranty period be sufficient?

I know we all hope things are trouble-free for years beyond the warranty period, but extending that period seems like a very reasonable request, and one they probably would have honored if they had faith in the product they shipped you.

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't know what exactly happened. Has EM been a part of this thread to respond and defend themselves. Nope. We don't have a clear picture here. I'm not understanding the hate from you. All I want is the truth. You seem to want to only hear one side.
BTW, I'm curious as to what is to gain here in your theory? My pump went out, I reached out to EM, they willingly sent me out a replacement stating it was new, I received it in the state shown in the pictures provided (saturday morning)...contacted them back asap next day via email (Sunday), they immediately requested pics (monday), they responded in a timely fashion that it's just normal buildup from brief testing but sternly assert it's brand new and after I called to speak to someone again they gave the option to send out another and this morning a manager finally called me as I mentioned previously. What exactly am I gaining here from fabricating all of this? There's no funds to exchange here!

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking apart the pump upon receipt is ridiculous to me, but honestly, if I were concerned I would ask them to prove their confidence with extending the warranty period....... Wouldn’t anything they send that works until beyond the warranty period be sufficient?

I know we all hope things are trouble-free for years beyond the warranty period, but extending that period seems like a very reasonable request, and one they probably would have honored if they had faith in the product they shipped you.

FYI I can't speak for most cases but my magnet housing (column the magnet spins in) was visually warped on the faulty unit which I relayed to EM. Instead of sending me everything including controller/power supply/cords etc. they just sent the pump itself in which 2 rubber o-rings are zip tied to the cord and in the email I was told to keep the old flue and use it on the NEW pump w/the new o-rings. There's your reason why I disassembled the pump upon my receipt.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a company sent me something that was supposedly new but appears used, I would definitely question them. If they say, it was from testing, I would take it as that and move on. But if the condition looked like it was actually used, I would definitely post about it to get other people's opinion on the condition of the item. Either way, in this case, I hope the OP gets a good working pump. This reminds me, I need to email BRS, for a cracked specimen container I received.

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference - The arrow is pointing to the ridges that I imagine caused the issue and were developed from heat causing the material to bubble. Also, note the M1 does not have a black interior like the "new" M2. I imagine the problem is why they new units have black housings different material.

IMG_3941.jpg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much to say about Ecotec. I have only had one product from them, a mp40wqd.

I did want to comment on taking apart a brand new pump though. It's literally the first thing I do when I get a new pump. It will need to be taken apart for cleaning or service eventually anyway. Might as well learn how to do it before it's encrusted with aquarium growth, imho.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recvd equipments that were tested prior to shipment and they arrived wet but clean. Perhaps EM tested the pump a while ago and it was sitting w some water that became moldy/dirty? Can OP perhaps ask EM this question (when were the pumps tested) since EM insists the pump is new, so in the future we can all avoid experiencing such an incident?

The OP happened to take the new replacement pump apart and noticed the equipment was dirty/used looking so became suspicious. Why are we blaming the customer for catching something amiss & having to defend his frustration?... Talk about blaming the victim at a trial. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Gil03

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recvd equipments that were tested prior to shipment and they arrived wet but clean. Perhaps EM tested the pump a while ago and it was sitting w some water that became moldy/dirty? Can OP perhaps ask EM this question (when were the pumps tested) since EM insists the pump is new, so in the future we can all avoid experiencing such an incident?

The OP happened to take the new replacement pump apart and noticed the equipment was dirty/used looking so became suspicious. Why are we blaming the customer for catching something amiss & having to defend his frustration?... Talk about blaming the victim at a trial. :rolleyes:

I did attempt to get info about their testing phase and was told by the customer service manager that he couldn't give me any info other than it was tested in clean water.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did attempt to get info about their testing phase and was told by the customer service manager that he couldn't give me any info other than it was tested in clean water.
That's troubling as it seems like they are hiding something. I can't ignore all the bad reviews I've seen on them. Thanks for sharing your experience.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back