You think AEFW is bad? Pycnogonid infestation!! Is my tank doomed?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would go for a wrasse like a yellow coris or melanarus or same genus wrasse. They will make short work of it.

But that's the question - If these things mostly come out at night (mostly), and hide effectively during the day, then wrasses won't solve it. Personally I have no experience with these aliens and don't want any!

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that's the question - If these things mostly come out at night (mostly), and hide effectively during the day, then wrasses won't solve it. Personally I have no experience with these aliens and don't want any!

Yeah I wonder about that. My other concern about adding a wrasse would be him burying/flipping my corals in the sand (alves, acans, small zoa frags). Would that stuff get buried for sure?

I will likely decide this weekend whether I want to grab a wrasse or find a vet to get interceptor.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I wonder about that. My other concern about adding a wrasse would be him burying/flipping my corals in the sand (alves, acans, small zoa frags). Would that stuff get buried for sure?

Not buried necessarily but if they're normal size frags sitting on 1" or thicker sand then those wrasses may well blast under the sand and knock the frags around a bit. It's amazing how fast they can dive into the substrate and then fly back out, trailing sand everywhere.

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not buried necessarily but if they're normal size frags sitting on 1" or thicker sand then those wrasses may well blast under the sand and knock the frags around a bit. It's amazing how fast they can dive into the substrate and then fly back out, trailing sand everywhere.

;Dead

My sand bed is at most 1 inch in most areas. Might even be less than half an inch in some spots.

Last edited:

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish definitely wont hurt and they are awesome fish to boot. The snails I hate only cane out at night too, but he found them and eradicated them. These fish hunt ALL day long.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish definitely wont hurt and they are awesome fish to boot. The snails I hate only cane out at night too, but he found them and eradicated them. These fish hunt ALL day long.
Oh I know, I have a large male melanurus. He attacks any small thing in the substrate that catches his interest, makes it more difficult to maintain a CUC, and I suspect (but cannot prove) that he's been consuming my cleaner shrimp after they molt (which is perhaps why they keep disappearing overnight, with no other likely predators.) Nonetheless, I'm keeping him around because he's very happy and healthy, and doesn't bother my corals or other fish. :)

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I picked up a yellow corris wrasse yesterday. Seems happy so far! And his tankmates are being civil, thankfully. The female clown loves to eat my hand so I was worried about her.

AcZUqMf_d.jpg

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news: he seems very happy and likes to pick at things on the rocks a bit. And my fiancée spent two hours watching him last night to catch the moment he went to bed in the sand lol.

Bad news: he loves the pellets I feed the clowns, which means he’s not as hungry to eat spiders. I saw 3 spiders last night but was only able to get 1 out... other 2 got away. I’ll still give him at least 3-4 weeks before I do anything else.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you try the interceptor? I helped a friend who just saw one in his tank and he has been having stn issues and weird random bite marks. But we only found one, and I looked really well but the lights had been on for a long time. I picked up every coral though, I would guess they are hiding in places other than just the corals because the colonies are not that big and we can see inside all of them. The tank has had fluctuations though and I blame that on the stn issues mainly. I am going to try interceptor in the tank to see if it clears things up but it would be nice to know if there are more in the tank before I treat it, but he just wants to treat the tank.
One question I have, is how do they reproduce? I would guess they reproduce sexually. But I found one really odd thing in his tank, I was looking on an acro for spiders and found a weird sponge like mass about 3/8" around stuck to a healthy but stressed part of an acropora in between two branches. It really looked like a mass of eggs or tiny spiders. Unfortunately I pulled it off and it fell off into the bucket of dead coral I was pulling out of the tank and I couldn't find it to take any pictures...
Anyways let us know how things are going now, I am curious if the wrasse helped yet.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with these. They do eat coral. I had a video somewhere of them eating an Acropora. Interceptor does indeed kill them from my experience.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea thats what I have been reading that interceptor will get rid of them. I also just read that they carry their babies on their legs. I would guess that since the success with interceptor they reproduce sexually and you don't have to worry about eggs being left behind, no one has seemed to be needing to do a second treatment. Same as red bugs don't need a second treatment if its done right.

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen a spider in 2 weeks so no plans to try interceptor yet. I scour the corals every morning and night before bed with my magnifying glass (sometimes once or twice during the night). I don't really feel super confident that they're gone though, but maybe Roy (the wrasse) made short work of them. I'm not convinced yet.

But boy do I love the wrasse. I've never had one before and he's a ton of fun to watch! No regrets! Pam and Jim seem to like him a lot too... the three of them hang out together a lot.

OP
OP
E

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason over the last 2-3 weeks half of my PC rainbow had tons bite marks(?) appear and all the color faded, but maintains some PE. And the other half of the PC Rainbow is still very bright green (which is not the correct color but it's better than pale).... I can't figure out a cause.

My Red Planet has shown tremendous growth in the last 4 weeks and turned very red and happy. But right next to it I have a Pink Cadillac that is a weird light green with pinkish polyps... I cannot seem to get decent color from it which is sad. Nearby is an Aussie Gold that has made significant growth in the last couple months. My Raspberry Limeade color has come back from being pale due to the spiders. And lastly my Walt Disney seems to be verrrrrrry slowly coloring up.

Absolutely NONE of my SPS have encrusted much (if at all) in 3 months (slight exception with my Green Slimer which encrusted a little). They are 100% only growing branches which is bizarre for 1 inch frags... everyone says most Acro will lay down a base first before branching out... I'll give it more time to rule out spiders.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interceptor treatment in my friends tank did wonders. There was really not much polyp extension at all and now everything has polyps. I have not been able to get into the tank but from the looks of it the treatment worked. I will update once I get time to go through every coral with him. I dosed half a pill in about 100 gallons and didn't run carbon or anything and never did a water change either. Only difference I see is the corals look healthier and happier.

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the outcome of the wrasse?

I am dealing with a similar issue and have been trying manual removal and dipping for several months and just cannot get ahead of these things. I am not opposed to an interceptor treatment but try to limit chemical use in my tank when I am able to.

Here is a picture of one of my acans when I first started battling these things for comparison. It was like a mosh pit on the skeleton.

20230105_105047.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 194 71.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back