I bought real reef rock, used it for 4 or 5 years. Eventually, it was totally covered with bubble tip anemones, and I traded it all off for 2 new boxes of Caribsea purple dry rock, basically re-started the tank, so I've been through the initial stages of a tank filled with purple dry rock twice. I didn't notice any difference between reel reef and caribsea. The caribsea probably has more 'interesting' shapes.
Either are better than white mined dry rock for avoiding the 'ugly stage'... The purple paint or whatever it is just looks better when you're going through that first 6 months or so. After that? It's base rock. By the end of the 1st year, anyway, you've probably got enough stuff of various kinds that you don't really see the base rock much.
If you're thinking this stuff is in any way 'live', or is going to accelerate your break in period... forget it. It's just dry rock. Wanna jump start a tank? Get some bottled bacteria, bottled pods and such, farmed wet rock or sand from TBS or similar. Sand or rock samples from successful local reefers can get things moving pretty well, and it's generally much cheaper :D
Is the purple stuff worth the price difference from Marco's rock or whatever? Eh. Up to you.
BRS has Caribsea purple dry rock, $212 for 40 lbs. White Marco's base rock is about half of that. There's worse ways to burn a hundred bucks in the reefing hobby :D