Young shark dying

brayden2980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 2 month old bamboo shark that just started acting very weird this morning. It seems as if he is Spastic ( all muscles constricting and preventing movement) he flexes up and you can see his fins brought into his body and his body turning into a c shape. He is isolated in a box in my aquarium, he has lots of flow going through it and has been in there for weeks with no problem so I don’t think the box caused anything. He goes in and out of this it seems.
Possible changed variables that may be affecting him:
1. I added ph buffer in the tank yesterday that raised the ph by .1 (alk was on the lower side so no concern that it’s too high)
2. The lid of the box was off and he was in bright light
3. I offered him food two days in a row because I wasn’t sure if he ate the day before or not
Any help would be amazing. Thank you

OP
OP
brayden2980

brayden2980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 2 month old bamboo shark that just started acting very weird this morning. It seems as if he is Spastic ( all muscles constricting and preventing movement) he flexes up and you can see his fins brought into his body and his body turning into a c shape. He is isolated in a box in my aquarium, he has lots of flow going through it and has been in there for weeks with no problem so I don’t think the box caused anything. He goes in and out of this it seems.
Possible changed variables that may be affecting him:
1. I added ph buffer in the tank yesterday that raised the ph by .1 (alk was on the lower side so no concern that it’s too high)
2. The lid of the box was off and he was in bright light
3. I offered him food two days in a row because I wasn’t sure if he ate the day before or not
Any help would be amazing. Thank you
1692545680670.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you post a video of the shark under white lighting? I want to see its respiration rate.

None of the three things you mentioned would have caused this. Any chance it got injured, maybe a rock falling on it?

Jay

OP
OP
brayden2980

brayden2980

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it was swimming with its muscled constricted not moving the fins at all. It was like they were rigid and he was only turning his body to move and banging his fins and head against the wall. No. There’s no chance of that as he is isolated at the top of the tank in a container with nothing in it

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to hear the shark passed. I don't believe the ph raising by .1 would have caused any issue. These sharks can be stressed out by very bright light and it's possible that it caused immense stress if there was no immediate hiding areas. Feeding 2 days in a row would also not be a problem. My guess without assuming the shark was not diseased or infected with a parasite is that it injured itself somehow and this is not super rare while they are young and fragile.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back