Young tank issues

Get tanked85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a break down I have my 4th tank, a 125 gallon, over the last 10 years and set up the same way I always do, dry sand, dry rock, rodi water with fritz salt. Left the tank empty for 6 weeks went through cycle fine with table shrimp then dosed lab grade ammonia until I had the rocks looking well cured and added fish and cuc. Over fed for a while and made it through my diatom bloom then the tank went clean and clear. Started adding more fish and corals slowly. Now I'm at month 6 and have like a really pale green almost clear gel all over the rocks and sanded that are holding bubbles. I know it's not dinos I've delt with that and was a nightmare. Now I've read so many contradicting articles on this and I'm aware of the new tank uglies but there has to be something I can do. The last 3 weeks I've ran gfo in a reactor and nopox. Nitrates are undetectable and phosphates around .20-.25. Typically an algae outbreak I've cut feeding way back but I'm feeding 4 chromis 4 damsels 2 clowns and 3 cardinals a thumbnail size piece of reef frenzy ever 2 days now and read that I should actually feed even more due to nitrate to phosphate removal is a 16:1 ratio and I've apparently depleted or starved my beneficial bacteria so there isn't enough to remove nitrates and ultimately the phosphates. Can anyone relate to this or have an idea on what I should try? Never had this issue before. Salinity is 1.028 all other parameters are spot on.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post your specific parameters? “Spot on” is mentioned often, but sometimes though certain numbers are correct, there is a balance issue. Specifically with nitrate and phosphate.

Hopefully we can figure out your issue.

OP
OP
G

Get tanked85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates undetectable possibly masked
Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
Salinity 1.028 (a liitl high thanks to ato failure)
Alk 7.8 (best u get out of fritz rpm)
Calcium 460
Mag over 1600
Phosphates .25
All done on 6 month old red sea kits. Got this weird gel on rocks a little bit of green hair or turf algae on tops of sps slowly snuffing them out. Rear corners of tanks have bright green blankets on sand of green cyano I'm guessing. Possibly just flow issue ulim using 2 older model koralia 1150s on wave maker. But really need to balance out my bacteria/bio load I'm guessing. Maybe pull gfo and run skimmer less each day? Also unable to sustain chaeto right now slowly losing my cantaloupe size ball over the course of 3 months to little strings everywhere and thick dark green mats growing on the chaeto.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back