Your Fish Stuff Golden Pearls

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a long time user of YFS' fish foods for my FW tanks, but I see they have a coral food now named Golden Pearls. Does anyone have any information on this food? Is anyone using it? I'd like to give it a spin as it's much cheaper than the established, popular brands, but I'd like to know what other reefers think first.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
tried a sample of it. It is krill based and too powdery, so it floats rather than sink and heads right for the overflow.
Smells fresh but my fish didn't get to it fast enough

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got a 1oz sample from a trade show

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been a long time user of YFS' fish foods for my FW tanks, but I see they have a coral food now named Golden Pearls. Does anyone have any information on this food? Is anyone using it? I'd like to give it a spin as it's much cheaper than the established, popular brands, but I'd like to know what other reefers think first.

This appears to be similar to the Original Golden Pearls offered by Brine Shrimp Direct which I have used to feed fry for many years before I switched to @Reef Nutrition.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 35 gallon WC today. Skimmer is still kinda wonky, but not as bad as before.
Got a 1oz sample from a trade show
This appears to be similar to the Original Golden Pearls offered by Brine Shrimp Direct which I have used to feed fry for many years before I switched to @Reef Nutrition.

The size that I'm talking about is the size of the food itself. They have #'s 1-4 with 1 being very small and dusty, and 4 being closer to a pellet.

What were your thoughts on the Original Golden Pearls?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What were your thoughts on the Original Golden Pearls?

I have bred many species of fish (FW & SW) and the various sizes of OGP and various sizes of live foods were an effective way for me to raise fry. I have never used OGP as a coral food so I cannot speak to that part of the question.

To use, I would stir the powered food into a small container of tank water and then add it to the tank - with minimal to low flow the particles stay suspended for a while. In a reef system the CUC will take care of what is left over. Also by premixing, this gives you the option to target feed any type of powered food to corals by using a turkey baster (or comparable). In fry tanks I then come back and siphon any amount that is left over from the bare bottomed tank.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bred many species of fish (FW & SW) and the various sizes of OGP and various sizes of live foods were an effective way for me to raise fry. I have never used OGP as a coral food so I cannot speak to that part of the question.

To use, I would stir the powered food into a small container of tank water and then add it to the tank - with minimal to low flow the particles stay suspended for a while. In a reef system the CUC will take care of what is left over. Also by premixing, this gives you the option to target feed any type of powered food to corals by using a turkey baster (or comparable). In fry tanks I then come back and siphon any amount that is left over from the bare bottomed tank.
I'm going to give this product a shot and see how my frags react to it.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden pearls are good stuff and have raised a lot of aquacultured animals if you use the appropriate size. I have used them in reefs a long time however I can’t say for sure sps capture them but other organisms like filter feeders sure do.

OP
OP
DirtDiggler2823

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden pearls are good stuff and have raised a lot of aquacultured animals if you use the appropriate size. I have used them in reefs a long time however I can’t say for sure sps capture them but other organisms like filter feeders sure do.

Sweet. What size did you use?

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using golden pearls. I have some big sizes 800-1000um for the fish and 100-200um for some corals, and guppies (freshwater tank). From brine shrimp direct. Pretty happy with the stuff. A little goes a long way especially with the smaller sizes. I’m kinda worried the stuff is probably expired, but the fish don’t seem to mind.

Back