Your lygbya experiences

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank at work is struggling with lyngbya. We are slowly but surely raising nitrate (now between 2-5ppm but was at 0 for the longest time which is likely the main issue; phosphate had the same issue and is still undetectable). Hydrogen peroxide does not work so please don't suggest that. Chemiclean doesn't affect it.

I want to know how it went away in your tank or if you know of a products to get rid of it. I was looking at ultra life blue green stain remover but it says freshwater (though the box says reef products). My hope is that it will slowly dissapear as the nitrates go up (which is quite a struggle)

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a skimmer?
There are things you can dose to raise nitrates and phosphates

it’s early and I’m not really awake but hopefully either someone can chime in or maybe try google

How are you trying to raise nutrients

Do you have pictures?

do you have a refugium on this tank?

what’s it stocked with?

Mia it Fowler or a reef tank?

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run a skimmer?
There are things you can dose to raise nitrates and phosphates

it’s early and I’m not really awake but hopefully either someone can chime in or maybe try google

How are you trying to raise nutrients

Do you have pictures?

do you have a refugium on this tank?

what’s it stocked with?

Mia it Fowler or a reef tank?

There is no current filtration running on the tank except a filter pad and some carbon (and a little phosphate remover pad to bring the phosphates back under 0.1 on hte phosphorus ulr checker). The tank is 800 gallons. The refugium was shut down as there wasn't enough nitrate or phosphate in the tank and we couldn't get it up from pellets. Phosphates are finally up but nitrates are still between 2-5ppm (again this is the first time it has been above 0.5ish in a while. This tank is barely stocked (a few small tangs). After 4 or 5 cups of pellets dumped in we have arrived at the current numbers (nitrate a little under 5 ppm and phosphate at 0.12 ppm). I don't have any pictures but I might be able to get some if I can remember. For a couple of reasons, this tank has gone through a variety of microbes that arise with 0 waste. Dinos, red cyano, this stuff, chrysophytes, etc.

I am really just looking to see if there are any products that could help remove it faster as this is a pretty uncommon cyano and I can't find anything that works on it.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your silicate levels?

I don't have access to a test kit for it and I won't be able to get one (I could but this is a part time job for me and so I obviously am not going to spend my money on the store lol). I wouldn't think cyano would use silicate?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an article somewhere about how to tell if it’s really cyano or something else. Man if I can remember where I’ll link you.

does it come and go with the lights?

have you tried dosing phytoplankton to help outcompete the bad stuff? (It’s what I do)

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an article somewhere about how to tell if it’s really cyano or something else. Man if I can remember where I’ll link you.

does it come and go with the lights?

have you tried dosing phytoplankton to help outcompete the bad stuff? (It’s what I do)

It does not disappear with the lights off. I used my microscope. Phyto is not an option for this.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very confident in it being lyngbya (if not that then callothrix. Here is a pic below. It is definitely 0 waste levels that caused the issues as there are a variety of things such as dinos also decently present under a microscope. This stuff comes back in full force within a day of it being scrapped off or killed with peroxide.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210612_153020.jpg

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not disappear with the lights off. I used my microscope. Phyto is not an option for this.

Ps I said phyto is not an option as I don't own this tank this is just one of the systems at the lfs I work part time

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate that stuff. It appears no one seems to have a solution.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back