your opinion of my tank and skimmer

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got a 100g dt, with 10-15 gallons water volume in my sump.

i've got an octo nw110, meshmodded (thinking of removing the mesh, as i don't think it's making a diff). i'm getting some pretty dark green/brown skimmate every 4-5 days, and probably 1/16" to 1/8" gunk in the neck every 4-5 days.

i've got a lm blenny, sleeper goby, 2 occi's, 3 bangaii, flame angel, 5 pepp's, 2 cleaners, who-knows-how-many hermits, many gigantic mutant bristleworms, and i don't know how many snails (turbos and nass). also have an rbta and many corals.

how big of a priority would it be to you to upgrade the skimmer? everything looks great, maybe a little browned out, but that might be due to my lights being old. i don't have the cash right now, and am questioning my purchase of corals with my x-mas cash. i might have to sell some of my stuff to get another skimmer, if this one is insufficient.:beat_shot:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your nutrient levels... NO3 and PO4?

I would judge it by that and nuiscance algae growth.

I have an Aqua-Euro USA 55 (rated at 55 gals) on my 70 gal TSV currently, and its sufficient. Granted I would love a bigger one, but it puts in work! NO3 = 0, PO4 = ~.02, nuiscance algae = none, AND I feed pretty darn heavy!

I just bought an ATB for my new tank and was considering hooking it up (even got a temp. bigger sump from Junior!), but its rated at 450+ gals, and since I have no issues with my current one I figuire why mess with it?

HTH!

zarro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimmer

HI it seems like your skimmer is doing a good job .The only thing i would change would be a bigger sump/fugue. Would help you out a lot.Micro algae would help to. Just my 2 cents

WinstONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about your water? I had that issue and found my RoDi membrane was bad. I replaced everything and I noticed a big jump in color within a month. Check that.

kgross

Local Fish Store Owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also say upgrading the skimmer would not be a big priority in your tank.

Kim

joefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are breeding Bangii and i have never seen you post "OMG my corals look bad", RELAX! If your skimmer wasnt doing its job you would have posted this much sooner. Look at the lobo you posted a few weeks ago, pics in the post show impovement! I thouht that when you did the baby bangii guard and resulted in dryer skimate was a good thing. Take a step back and enjoy what you got! Somebody post a dancing chill pill for salty.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it not broke dont fix it... If you are worried that the nutrients are too high add plant filtration such as Chaeto. Its amazing how much that helps with nutrients. With as much Chaeto that I keep I feel that I could take my skimmer of.
Might sound crazy but I judge my water changes by how my Chaeto grows. If it grows sloooooow then no water change. If I notice a spike in the growth over a week then I know that its feeding from the nutrients and its time to do a water change.
Many people might disagree with this but it works well for me.

OP
OP
Saltysteele

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice, guys! i'll take it :)

maybe i'll put the money i've been saving towards another 48"T5 (gets expensive by the time you buy endcaps, reflector and bulb :(

as for the bangaii, they're such cute little babies :D

I need to get another pic of the lobo. it has definitely responded well. within 30 seconds of putting food in the tank, there are thick, big tentacles everywhere.

thanks, guys! i appreciate it :D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back