Your preferred doser... need suggestions

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got busy and could not dose for about 5 days and my alk dropped from 7.9 to 5.8.
I had a bit of die off because of this and I just don’t want it happening anymore. What’s your favorite doser? Not looking at Apex DOS at the moment

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to properly maintain you ALK while away at rock solid levels, you can get a dosing pump, but the Alkatronic is what I would recommend if you have the dough. If not, I currently have a Vertex Libre that has been rock solid for the past 4 years. Focustronic and @JonasRoman are also coming out with a Dosetronic that will work in conjunction with the Alkatronic for dosing supplements, etc.

Here is my lastest screenshot:

upload_2018-4-3_8-6-56.png

I want to keep my ALK between 7.75 - 8dkh. I have the Vertex dosing 70ml kalk every hour and the Alkatronic picking up the slack when needed. Perfect combination for me. I get the benefit of kalk and my dkh stays in the range where I want it (I also carbon dose).

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Kamoer dosing pumps. They make medical ones as well which may or may not be a sign that the aquarium version ones are very accurate. After calibration I got mine within .1 ml and haven't had to re calibrate yet. I never thought it was a big deal before I had a wifi dosing pump but controlling from an app is much better than under your stand, unless you have a separate fish room for all your equipment..

Bmartinez76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have a kamoer 4 pump doser with wifi available in the next week. Going to use GHL products, so will no longer need it.

OP
OP
Homewrecker

Homewrecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to properly maintain you ALK while away at rock solid levels, you can get a dosing pump, but the Alkatronic is what I would recommend if you have the dough. If not, I currently have a Vertex Libre that has been rock solid for the past 4 years. Focustronic and @JonasRoman are also coming out with a Dosetronic that will work in conjunction with the Alkatronic for dosing supplements, etc.

Here is my lastest screenshot:

upload_2018-4-3_8-6-56.png

I want to keep my ALK between 7.75 - 8dkh. I have the Vertex dosing 70ml kalk every hour and the Alkatronic picking up the slack when needed. Perfect combination for me. I get the benefit of kalk and my dkh stays in the range where I want it (I also carbon dose).

I don’t want to break the bank for this tank. It’s just a 30 gallon and I’m setting up my big tank later on this year.
I’ve been considering a GHL doser for a while but never thought it was THAT necessary until this week

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to break the bank for this tank. It’s just a 30 gallon and I’m setting up my big tank later on this year.
I’ve been considering a GHL doser for a while but never thought it was THAT necessary until this week

Well if you know for sure that you are going to setup a bigger tank, I'd say get the doser that you would move over to it and save yourself money down the road.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the GHL doser 2 and its rock solid. It generally dont loose calibration overtime and the pumps are well built and silent. You can control them over cloud too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
BT- 101 by Bubble Magnus

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have an Apex, the BRS 1.1 ml/min dosers are great. Because they operate so slowly, you can get quite precise with your dosing. This programming calculator makes them an absolute breeze to set up.

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/dosingcalc.php

If I were to get a stand alone doser, it would hands down be a GHL 2.1 - 4 head doser.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my ghl dosers. I have a couple of the 2.1 dosers and a maxi doser. Nice thing is you could get a stand alone 2.1 and be able to control it anywhere at anytime. No need for a controller, but if you wanted to add one down the road you could and then make the 2.1 a slave doser. You could also add a kh director down the road if you wish. They are expensive, but you get a lot for the money and they are very accurate/stable. The stand alone also has level ports for float/optical switches, magnetic stirrer outputs and a temperature probe port.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Kamoer dosing pumps. They make medical ones as well which may or may not be a sign that the aquarium version ones are very accurate. After calibration I got mine within .1 ml and haven't had to re calibrate yet. I never thought it was a big deal before I had a wifi dosing pump but controlling from an app is much better than under your stand, unless you have a separate fish room for all your equipment..
I have always used brs dosing pumps because they are pretty cheap and really good quality (way nicer than whats on some of the cheap dosing pumps) I can hook them up to my controller which is also nicer than the internals on the cheap dosing pumps.

I did however just purchase the kamoer f4 like andrewkw up here, looks to be a very promising doser. GHLs are supposed to be nice but i have several friends who have had issues with them, so i went with the kamoer f4.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a couple aquahouse dosers. They can be programmed and work pretty well. I had them running full time dosing macro and micro nutrients into my freshwater planted tank for about 2 years and no issues. Before that I had a cheap ebay doser that 2 of the heads crapped out after about a year of use.

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a 2 head jebao dosing pump for over a year, and it works just fine and it's super cheap. This was the single biggest improvement to my overall coral health (consistent alk.)

I've been hearing good things about the Coral Box Wifi Dosing Pump. That's probably what I'll buy next.

I'm sure the super expensive dosing pumps work great, but so do the cheap ones...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back