Your Resident Electrician for all your electrical questions!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a "triac" circuit in a controller, it will apparently put a surge out when low-voltage devices cycle on/off.

Your DC pump's transformer/controller is probably just trying to maintain steady output in the face of an unsteady input.

Happens to my LEDs (on my Reefkeeper) when my ATO (not on my Reefkeeper, but on the same circuit) cycles.

I'm told that, aside from annoyances, it's not to be worried about. Some folks have luck isolating the device(s) in question on its own high-quality surge suppresser.

$0.02

KingTriton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about wiring a non gfci outlet above my tanks lights in order to run them. My fixtures trip all of my outlets each time them come on. Id have the light fixture heavily secured up top, but wanted to see your thoughts on having a grounding probe in the tank? Would this be an extra safety net just in case? My flooring consisted of 3/4'' rubber horse mats "not sure if this has any benefit". Thanks

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A grounding probe is definitely not a substitute for a GFCI.

Perhaps an AFCI would be suitable and NOT trip all the time?
ibcGetAttachment.jsp

KingTriton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps an AFCI would be suitable and NOT trip all the time?

I actually have a few unused GFI breakers in place and available. Is a GFI breaker going to be less sensitive and more reliable compared to the GFI outlet?

Irsug1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have an external GFCI purchased from HD. I have a powerhead and heater plugged into this for my saltwater mixing station.
Every time the power goes out the GFCI trips. Is this normal or could the outlet be wired incorrectly?
Thanks in advance

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I have an external GFCI purchased from HD. I have a powerhead and heater plugged into this for my saltwater mixing station.
Every time the power goes out the GFCI trips. Is this normal or could the outlet be wired incorrectly?
Thanks in advance
Yes mine does this and if it's tripped off when the power is on it will come on if a surge happens. Burned up a mag 5 using the test button for a switch because it came on when my can was empty.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about wiring a non gfci outlet above my tanks lights in order to run them. My fixtures trip all of my outlets each time them come on. Id have the light fixture heavily secured up top, but wanted to see your thoughts on having a grounding probe in the tank? Would this be an extra safety net just in case? My flooring consisted of 3/4'' rubber horse mats "not sure if this has any benefit". Thanks

I have my lights on a non GFCI outlet also because on some devices, especially with ballasts, drivers etc, the GFCI will trip even though there is no threat. Most people will advise against it but it is what it is and if you want to use your lights as they are, that is what you can do. I would always use a ground probe no matter if you have this problem or not. Also, being that your lights will not be on a GFCI, don't touch the lights and stick your hand in the water at the same time. "Of course" it is safer to use a GFCI for everything.
(Master Electrician 40 years in Manhattan, retired)

KingTriton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my lights on a non GFCI outlet also because on some devices, especially with ballasts, drivers etc, the GFCI will trip even though there is no threat. Most people will advise against it but it is what it is and if you want to use your lights as they are, that is what you can do. I would always use a ground probe no matter if you have this problem or not. Also, being that your lights will not be on a GFCI, don't touch the lights and stick your hand in the water at the same time. "Of course" it is safer to use a GFCI for everything.
(Master Electrician 40 years in Manhattan, retired)

Thanks Paul

Irsug1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes mine does this and if it's tripped off when the power is on it will come on if a surge happens. Burned up a mag 5 using the test button for a switch because it came on when my can was empty.
Interesting . Thanks for your input.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread! I'm doing a 40g build and have two outlets with two plugs in each to work with. I planned on changing each outlet to gfi. Here's the equipment I need to run:

Skimmer
Heater
Return pump
Power heads (1-2)
Ato pump
Lights
Gfo reactor
Maybe an apex later

The outlets are on side walls to the left and right of the tank, which sits in a cubby. I had planned on running one surge protector with everything plugged into it since there's not too much equipment. Since I have four plugs to work with between the two outlets, would it be better to distribute the load more evenly among them? I could get more than one surge protector. What is the most efficient way to set this up?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is there any equipment that shouldn't run through a gfi?

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread! I'm doing a 40g build and have two outlets with two plugs in each to work with. I planned on changing each outlet to gfi. Here's the equipment I need to run:

Skimmer
Heater
Return pump
Power heads (1-2)
Ato pump
Lights
Gfo reactor
Maybe an apex later

The outlets are on side walls to the left and right of the tank, which sits in a cubby. I had planned on running one surge protector with everything plugged into it since there's not too much equipment. Since I have four plugs to work with between the two outlets, would it be better to distribute the load more evenly among them? I could get more than one surge protector. What is the most efficient way to set this up?
I'd get a heavy duty strip with the gfi built in. What size breaker is it on?

image.png

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a heavy duty strip with the gfi built in. What size breaker is it on?

image.png
I'm not sure but I can find out. I'm thinking a surge protector on each outlet on each side of the tank.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure but I can find out. I'm thinking a surge protector on each outlet on each side of the tank.
Surge protectors just protect the equipment they won't help with getting you shocked.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 66 40.2%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 83 50.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back