Your top 3 best fish (Nice, peaceful and reef safe)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(1) leopard wrasses - love them all, just a cool group of fish. Actually, I feel the same way about most of the halichoerus wrasses also...
(2) regal angel - my current guy is beautiful and surprisingly "smart" for a fish - the reef-safe part hasn't really been tested yet though...
(3) flame fairy wrasse (c. jordani) - the nightly display and color-changing is very cool to watch, and they are a very flashy red and yellow

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blotched Anthias my no1.

image.jpg
I would love to try one of these guys. But I think my Sailfin Tang would end up harassing it and giving it a heart murmur.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any goby fits all three characteristics well. The worst they will do is put sand on your corals.

As much as I like my bicolor dottyback they are just too aggressive imo.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for some great and easy fish for beginners? Maybe some corals too?

Clownfish make good all round starters, probably the best starter fish imo. Reef safe, peaceful and its easy to get captive bred fish that are healthier. Good starting corals are zoas, palys, leathers, and mushroom corals.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(1) leopard wrasses - love them all, just a cool group of fish. Actually, I feel the same way about most of the halichoerus wrasses also...
(2) regal angel - my current guy is beautiful and surprisingly "smart" for a fish - the reef-safe part hasn't really been tested yet though...
(3) flame fairy wrasse (c. jordani) - the nightly display and color-changing is very cool to watch, and they are a very flashy red and yellow
Wrasses are on my "want" list, but with the trend now in rimless tanks, just worried about the jumpers.
Can't get my head around the idea of having a screen door on top of my tank either.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Engineer Goby is the easy favorite, Radiant Wrasse and Azure Damsel.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool thread! Bump for more input! :D

Lisa Maxwell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love the 6-line wrasse - great personality, stunning color - loves to beg for food! They are jumpers though, I've had to cover any open spots with screen to keep them in the tank!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are on my "want" list, but with the trend now in rimless tanks, just worried about the jumpers.
Can't get my head around the idea of having a screen door on top of my tank either.

You definitely want a cover for wrasses. Especially if you get hooked and want to buy the $$ ones.

BRS sells kits, but they work better on rimmed tanks. I did see someone advertising acrylic framed mesh tops that would look sharp on a rimless set-up.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love the 6-line wrasse - great personality, stunning color - loves to beg for food! They are jumpers though, I've had to cover any open spots with screen to keep them in the tank!

6-line are good frag tank fish, but I can't limit myself to one wrasse per tank and I've heard too many terror stories to risk my lineatus or rhomboid [emoji13]

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back