You're going to need a bigger carbon

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So most of you are familiar with the 10" x 2.5" carbon blocks used in RODI systems. What do you do if the flow you're trying to treat is more/faster than that filter can treat? We'll you can always go with a larger carbon block at 20" x 2.5" or 10" x 4.5" of 20" x 4.5". The largest of these will allow flows between 5 and 10 gallons per minute.

What if the desired flow is higher/faster than that? What if you're trying to treat 75 gpm - something like you'd see out of a 2" firehose. These sorts of flows are most economically treated with a backwashing carbon tank. Here's one we recently worked on that is 3 feet in diameter and almost 7 feet tall that holds 20 cubic feet (550 lbs) of granulated activated carbon.

Carbon Tank.jpg

The old carbon inside had to be removed, and new carbon loaded. We use this style of backwashing carbon tank at public aquariums and other commercial applications, and in front of commercial-sized RO and RODI systems.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GAC filter for my house that's replaced every year. Not sure how much it holds but it's 5 foot tall. That's all I use for a pre-filter for the membrane. There is also a 10 micron before the carbon.

OP
OP
Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GAC filter for my house that's replaced every year. Not sure how much it holds but it's 5 foot tall. That's all I use for a pre-filter for the membrane. There is also a 10 micron before the carbon.
replaced every year!? The GAC inside your tank should have a 5 year lifespan... unless you have some nasty well water that is loading the bed with iron or manganese, or the like.

OP
OP
Buckeye Hydro

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if your tap water contains chloramine rather than chlorine? Yep, we can address that as well. We use a different media, and slow the flow down to assure adequate treatment. The secret is in properly adjusting the EBCT - the amount of time the water is in contact with the media.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replaced every year!? The GAC inside your tank should have a 5 year lifespan... unless you have some nasty well water that is loading the bed with iron or manganese, or the like.
It's for radon gas in the water.
They come and swap it out. I told my wife I can change it out myself for a 1/4 of the $.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back