You're Not Powerless: Surviving a Power Interruption

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex with a 12v power supply plugged into the wall and configured to take action when the power goes out is FANTASTIC. My Apex turns off everything and sets one Tunze down to 35%. We don't commonly have long outages (I do have a genny just in case) so with one powerhead going as slow as possible my Back-UPS Pro 1500 can usually go long enough.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should also have mentioned if you are using a inverter or generator, you should be using a Pure Sine wave one to prevent damage to your pumps and motors. Also in an emergency you can make an air bubbler using a pop bottle, hydrogen peroxide a potato, some airline tubing and a diffuser. Make a hole in the pop bottle lid to stick the airline tubing in and put the other end with the diffuser in the aquarium, next fill the pop bottle 1/4-1/2 way full and the chop up the potato and add some in the bottle and put the lid on. This will pump pure O2 into the aquarium. Makes as many as you need.
Are you talking 3% hydrogen peroxide or diluted with water? How much potato would you use and how fine do you chop it?

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read!!! If any of you guys care, at my job (Oreillys's) we sell emergency battery packs that'll not only jump your car, but can be used as a temporary backup generator! I think they range 40-$100, but I had my power maintenced once and had my 10gal run off it for a few hours no problems!

Thanks for the info. Can you provide a link to the products you are talking about?

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Darth_man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I've got a battery back up and generator on hand. Never know when I'll need both.

C.bldwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking 3% hydrogen peroxide or diluted with water? How much potato would you use and how fine do you chop it?

Yes 3% or higher. The peroxide will oxidize the potato releasing oxygen. The smaller and more potato (more surface area) the more oxygen you will produce.

BigRedSpecial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost nearly my entire tank twice now due to 36hr+ outages, so this is an area I'm quite interested in. I have a battery backup on an MP10 in the tank, and I need to find a solution for the return pump and a heater. Beyond that, any equipment isn't critical. Battery(s) and an inverter will do the trick for a while, and for anything longer than a day I also have a Tacoma with 400w at the ready.

BigRedSpecial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so we have an 8 hour planned outage tomorrow and I'm out of town... all my fish are in the old 20 with a battery backed MP10, so I'm not concerned about them, but the snails and hermits in the new tank will be on their own.

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so we have an 8 hour planned outage tomorrow and I'm out of town... all my fish are in the old 20 with a battery backed MP10, so I'm not concerned about them, but the snails and hermits in the new tank will be on their own.
That really sucks. Good luck!

BigRedSpecial

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank was fine... the old tank (which had the MP10 running) had a temperature crash and I lost all my snails.

Goes to show, it's not always the problem you're expecting that'll get you.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6000 Kva UPS hooked up and it runs my return pump for about 6 to 8 hours also have a small genie witch I just bought but have not tested it yet

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been considering a whole-home capable hard wired natural gas generator for other reasons, but I'm definitely picking up a battery powered pump in the meantime!

OP
OP
AllSignsPointToFish

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been considering a whole-home capable hard wired natural gas generator for other reasons, but I'm definitely picking up a battery powered pump in the meantime!
I'm considering the same thing. The issue is that I don't have natural gas available in the area, so I will probably need a propane tank.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering the same thing. The issue is that I don't have natural gas available in the area, so I will probably need a propane tank.

My parents got one that I believe works on natural gas, propane, or diesel by just swapping some parts (probably fuel injection nozzles). If you got something like that, you'd be able to use natural gas if it ever gets to your area!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With all the current outages, I figured a bump in here might be helpful

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built the house in 2013 I installed a whole house generator that runs on propane. Also installed a 500 gallon propane tank just for long term backup if needed. I am not in any incorporated city and have power outage on occasions. I am also in an area that can have a hurricane. It has saved my bacon many times over the years, including this terrible cold snap we had in Texas with massive power disruptions.

Back