Yuma Care and discussion

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we Yuma Ricordea lovers need to have a serious discussion as to the care of these wonderful corals. I think the point of the discussion shouldn't pics as much as the trading of info on your tank set-ups and parameters that allow you to be successful with them. I know from personal experience that they can be difficult to keep. A few years ago I purchased 7 hot pink ricordea and all 7 of them died and melted away. Each one melted within 2 weeks or 14+/- days from acclimation.

My tank at that time wasn't as aged as it is now, but the parameters had checked out and were in acceptable ranges as far as the test could tell me. At that time I did 3 test each PH, Ca, Nitrate, Phos, alk.

The lighting I had at the time was 4 x 110w VHO that was broken down like this 2 x Super actinic and 2 x actinic white which at it's face wouldn't seem to be to much light due to the even dispersal of the spectrum across the bulb and tank. The tank had a medium gravel bed( 3") which at first I had an under-gravel filter that wasn't in use but more a hide away for pods and copapods due to me having a mandarin fish. Which actually worked great for having a continual supply of pods. I also kept maintenance up on the first 1/2 or so if the bed to keep it as free as possible of detritus.

IN the last 2 1/2 years I have removed the UG filter and added a 250w Metal halide system that is SE with mogul base. So lighting is not an issue as far as having enough but maybe to much when concerned with Yumas.

Even though these test at the time told me the water was in-line I still could not keep them for anything. I had a colony of green ones and a few others besides the pinks that kept coming in and going out. As the pinks melted I would see some of the others would start to melt as well. Now these other rics had been in the tank for a year or more and were bought locally where as the pinks were bought on-line of course.

So after serious threats by my wife I quit getting the pinks and then as the last one melted I also quit getting other color morphs. So for the last 2 1/2 years or more I would not keep Yumas but could keep Florida rics with no issue so the point of this discussion shouldn't include them.

Personally I think that the reason that these rics melted was due to a bacterial infection that was either with the ricordea during collection or they picked them up when stored in the wholesalers vats with yumas that had infections and as they sat they them were exposed to this infection.

One of the tell tale signs I found of these ricordea that had this infection was the gaping of the mouth and then the retracting of the polyp face. In each one at the end of the 2 week period I noticed that as the mouth would gap open you could see through the mouth to the rack that was beneath it. As though the base of the foot directly under the mouth was eaten away or began to rot from the internal infection and then caused the polyp to not be able to create the positive pressure within the coral itself.

Continued......

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel, good for you......a discussion. Seems we have all been wrapped up in showing off what we all have or what we want lately.

Will post later have to put the little one to sleep.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As these melted one of the first things I did was to put them in a shaded area and a increased flow. Which didn't stop or hinder the infection at all, I also have used iodine dips on these infected yumas with no positive results. So could it have been that they were to far gone? Could it have been that they could have been saved if there was a med that works on them? Possibly, but the problem with corals such as these I think that they tend to be more sensitive to these meds that we could use on like zoas and or fish.

At the same time I was told to hurry and frag them so that the possibility of at least a piece of it might live. This method also showed no positive results either as each frag of these rics continued to decline to the point of either removal or melting away with in the tank, could it also be that the frags of these infected rics also carried the infection with them? Thus it wouldn't have mattered much at all anyway? Most likely in my opinion.

Could the high flow also have spread the infection to the other rics that were healthy and turned for the worse? So if that was the case then low flow be better as to not spread the infection into the water column? As of today I could not save a single polyp that came down with infection. I do not think that it was contributed to lighting or parameter shock although I have seen corals get photo-shock and parameter shock and to me this did not look like either, but an internal issue. Each one of these ricordea also seemed to have within the tissue a brown gelatinous substance of which I don't have any scientific evidence but that this substance was the bacteria or material that contained the bacteria.

So after 2 1/2 years and changing my set-up with lights and getting away from the course gravel bed and going to south-down I also added PVC rock stands. During this time I got one ric from friend who's tank had sprung a leak. This was at least 2 years after the last ric melted away in my tank. Guess what happened? It also melted with 2 weeks as well.... So that was the last ric I had up until 2 months ago when I got a propped expensive ric that I was going to take a chance on because I could not take it anymore I had to have one.

The only other thing I changed with my set up which I had not mentioned yet is I switched salts, I have used Reef Crystals for well over 15 years and had no major issues with the exception of one bad bag. But this bad bag was also well after my last ricordea and after the melting of the ric I got from a friend so it wasn't that. I think Reef Crystals is in my opinion on of the best salts out there. So why change? You ask. With the findings of how and what goes into the salt mixes, I was turned onto a study that the initial findings was that Red Sea Pro was what seemed to be the tops out there according to the initial findings of the experiment by Eric Borneman. I also saw the difference at a LFS that switched to this as well so I waited a few months to see how their tanks did. The growth of their corals zoas, palys. SPS were tremendous. So I have been on the Red Sea Pro now for about 6 months and have had great results with it. So this ricordea I got from a fellow reefer has done great better then great it is thriving. So I picked up another this one was also propped and it is thriving. I can't believe it these things that I have wanted so much I can keep now. So the other day I had some Bday money and I sat here in front of my PC and went looking for a coral or 2. I found one that I couldn't go with out another pink yuma EEEEEK. I bought it anyway knowing that this could be a bunch of money down the drain. This yuma is wild to by the way and I really had to think about it hard because I would hate to bring something into my tank to spread infection to the ones I already have that are thriving.....Well this one is doing awesome and is almost 4'' around.....

I can say that I truly thing the salt has helped and the fact that the initial ones I got were propped which they were used to captive care....I still have not found a cure for the infection but I think I would like to try Furan2 on these or a prescription antibiotic on these corals to see if that would help them out. If these things continue to have issues there may come a time where we will no longer see them coming in to the hobby due to the high death rate. This would be on one end beneficial for the corals to continue the wild populations but we would be without these beautiful corals in our tanks.....

I would like for you guys/gals to share your experiences with these corals and tell us what worked for you and what didn't. If you had issues with them did you save them? What is your ideas on how we can figure out how to over come this problem with infections. Before long they could go by the way of elegance corals and we don't need that....Please share....

Last edited:

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a wonderful topic!
Over the last few months we have started to collect some very high end Yumas and have been concerned with the growth and vitality of the beauties. As most know Yumas aren't cheap and can fetch in upwards of 200+ dollars for some of the strange and unusual colorations.
We all have heard of have clean water or dirty water and I have found that they thrive in both. Contrary to belief we continue to have the best success with them in tanks that run a Moderate level of NO3.
We have had more success with them under T5 than other lighting.
We do weekly water changes to supliment Iodine and Mg in our systems.
We have always used IO salt and it is kept at 1.024-1.025. I have experienced some recession due to salt level over 1.025.
We are curious to hear any stories of folks that keep their tanks above 1.025 and the problems if any with Yumas.
I agree with James that signs of stress or death begins with the oral disc which start to open. It will gape open and lose the green coloration around the mouth. And from that point from my experience there isn't much to do or say but watch it's mouth drop and and a few days following it will turn to mush. Note: I have seen some species that have a wider mouth and continue to thrive.
Some of the basics of Yumas success and growth are as random as the wind. We here success and horror stories about Yumas and have experienced both sides.
Some of the beneficial factors that might help are Quality water ( Ro/Di water the is reading O on TDS.
Consistant Saltwater preperation
Routine water changes to suppliment the loss of Iodine and Mg
Random flow Med.
Testing Iodine and Mg with other testing ( we test twice a week in the LPS and Yuma tank.
Temperatures Our tanks stay at 78-80 year around.
Proper lighting which no one person knows the answer to proper lighting.
If it comes on the rock let it stay on the rock. We leave them as be. It may cost more for shipping but it stays alive.

Hope this helps I will continue to add more as we go.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been my experiance through trying to keep a vast varity of colored species of yuma that "Some of the basics of Yumas success and growth are as random as the wind" as quoted above.

I have had maintained them with great success under both PC and T5HO lighting. I have had them under high to low flow. High and low in the tank. The only differeance that I have observed is that the T5 allows greater more viberant colors.

Some of my yumas like low flow other like high flow. Some like igh light some like low light.

I can't figure it out, there is no rhyme or reason to these guys. Some thrive some dive???

I will never forget the yumas I got from Vietnam. Green base, pink mouth, yellow polyps with purple stripes in between the polyps. I quickly fragged the rock, put two high light high flow, two went low light low flow.
All four disinigrated with in one week almost at the same time. One frag didn't seem to do better than the other? Where I had other yumas side by them doing great???????????????????

By the way my salinity is always at 1.027+/-.001. I have had a green and yellow, and strawberry colored one thriving for well over six months!!! Its been a while since I have tried a new one, maybe the time is right to do it again!

Zoanuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention another important aspect of raising good quality Yumas. Making sure you dkH is in line.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point Dustin, I found that Reef Crystals was a little short at keeping my alk up without dosing. I have seen healthy one's come in and then get the infection. I wonder if the fact that the alk is low can cause the yuma to be more susceptible to the infection because of the stress.........

korndogg091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great topic, I have a few yumas and in my experience it seems if you get through the first couiple of weeks then your golden. I have a orange yuma that has spread several times and looks great. I have a all red/pink yuma that ive had almost 2 years now and has never sprung a baby. Sometimes I am right one with water changes and making sure my parameters are right on and sometimes im lazy and dont and things go out of wack. Either way they have always done well. I recently moved my tank and I had a mini cycle ware I lost some things, but the yumas stood strong. Now, on the other hand I have bought some yumas that within a week or 2 have melted away, I to moved them around trying to put them in a better spot, but it seems by the time it shows signs of melting its already to late. I enjoy yumas and once my money situation turns around id love to collect some more.
Ware is a good place to find them? I know of a few online vendors but there prices are insane.

korndogg091

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, I use reef crystals and have then under 2 250w metal halides in a 120g wide. They used to be under the same lighting in a standard 90g. All of my results in both tanks have been the same.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A unique observation...........I have a green yuma witha yellow mouth and some polyps. When I first got it it was attached to little piece of rubble rock. One day I handled it too much and it decided to walk off. It was off and blowing around the tank for about a week. I finally got it to stay in one location without blowing around. For almost a month it didn't attach to anything. Finally it did re attach to a piece of rubble. I again handled it to move it and it walked. Again a few weeks went buy then it reattached. A week ago I moved my 55 into a 120, again I handled it and it detached.
Long story short they don't like to be touched.

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had bad luck with most of the yuma's i have taking into care of. I have purchased about 4 or 5, within the past year, and only 2 have survived.

I have only purchase one online, and with bad experience. I have noticed that most of my dying yuma's either were always irritated by something and always dis-lodged themselves from their substrate to leave me with nothing left. Then to my surprise a month later i find a bleached yuma. This has happened twice. I have no idea to what has caused them to dis-lodge themselves. The flow in the tank area was low to medium flow, not enough to remove one i'd say. The other yuma i have killed was one i received in a shippment, from an online vendor, and came in with its mouth gapping and shriveled. Never recovered and slowly melted away within the first week.

The 2 that i have right now are in medium flow within my tank. On the bottom of the tank under T5's & water quality is excellent. No -trates, -trites. The Alk i keep the tank at is 10.8 dkh, cal 480-550, Mag 1500+.

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm i will get more info soon, mainly because i havent tested in forever!

but i have a 10g with 96watts of 50.50 light a cpr bak pak skimmer run by a maxijet 600 and a whisper 40 running carbon.
i hardly ever do water changes(used to do it alot but trying to let my xenia and macro get some nitrates.
i only have two yumas that i got on the 19th but they are doing ok so far, not much to go on though.
i will update with further stats when i get them... haha
'if u ahve any questions let me know

THE BEAUT

Luv Golf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with yumas is probably the same as the rest of you. I have had them also melt for no reason etc. Besides the obvious, good params. I found that keeping them shaded for at least 2 weeks is vital for there success. Then slowly moving them into the direct light. I know its tough, you want to see your nice new yuma in all is glory, but don't succumb to the temptation. Leave it be. Mine are all on the bottom of my tank with moderate indirect flow. Enough flow that i can see the disks actually lifting a little when next powerhead comes on in the sequence.

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok nitrates-0
nitrites-0
ammonia-0
salinity-1.030
pH-tested at like 7.5 but its hard to believe

so there is that lets get some more ppls tank info up here

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only have two yumas in my tank ATM, and i've had good results in keeping them alive. there is a section in my tank which has good flow, but very little light. i place the frag there for couple of weeks, almost to the point of bleaching out. then every week, i slowly bring it out into the open.

my tank parameters are general, ammonia 0, nitrite, nitrate 0, salinity 1.025 ~ 1.026, temp 79. water change every other week or so. both yuma frags are located near the sandbed, on a rockwork under 250w mh

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the high SG.....Unless you have only Red Sea corals.....

Mine Parameters

SG: 1.025/1.026
Ca: 460
ph: 8.2/8.3
alk: 9dkh-11dkh
Mag: 1330 +/-
Phos: 0
Nitrates: 0
trites: 0
ammonia: 0

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya im working on it. i have only zoas, and xenia(red sea i think) but im going to have to go get some fresh soon

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back