Yup have a worm...

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was putting the battlecorals frags into temp spots and noticed that dreaded slime trail coming from a rock....

Setup camp and finally found the worm.

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops forgot the picture

eunicid.jpg

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, can anyone ID this worm . When I was grabbing him and thinking what a terrible idea my thoughts where eunicid but now that I got a head picture...

IMG_20180822_1308115.jpg

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn't you put the new corals in the QT tank to start?

I'm having trouble following the logic. Am I missing something?

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the looks of the sides I'm still laying money on eunicid, do you have any other pictures from the top of just the head? how fast is this thing? I think eunicids are fairly fast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn't you put the new corals in the QT tank to start?

I'm having trouble following the logic. Am I missing something?

There are only 3 places I do not quarantine corals from. They do get dipped and heavily inspected though. all other places I purchase from get a full quarantine.

Edit: wanted to add I agree odd logic. It's a dice roll. But seriously if I spend triple digits on a small frag from a reputable dealer and it comes in with coral pests or even fish disease then that is flat out criminal. 10 dollar frags is a different story..

Last edited:
OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the looks of the sides I'm still laying money on eunicid, do you have any other pictures from the top of just the head? how fast is this thing? I think eunicids are fairly fast.

Can't get a top of worm picture. This was from the bottom so a belly picture.
The worm is extremely fast. From reaching out of rock to back inside in a fraction of a second. That's why I was shocked I was able to ambush it successfully.

IMG_20180822_1359202.jpg

IMG_20180822_1359278.jpg

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oenone fulgida-- flush it and hope that was the only one.

Thank you!!
That seems to be it. I'm guessing that toxin is that pink slime ball it excreted when I grabbed it. (in bait bucket picture). Ill be night stalking the tank for a while now.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a red light to spot them at night. Don't touch them or the slime; the mucus is toxic and results in a very unpleasant burning sensation. I have way too much experience with these nasty critters and am thoroughly impressed you were able to catch one with forceps.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some sort of ribbon worm? Most are highly toxic so wear gloves

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a red light to spot them at night. Don't touch them or the slime; the mucus is toxic and results in a very unpleasant burning sensation. I have way too much experience with these nasty critters and am thoroughly impressed you were able to catch one with forceps.

Well spent some serious time hunting last night using shrimp. Found another one. When I grabbed it with forceps it broke so I only removed a piece. Going to pull the rock out and try to flush it out.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well spent some serious time hunting last night using shrimp. Found another one. When I grabbed it with forceps it broke so I only removed a piece. Going to pull the rock out and try to flush it out.
Do it, because it will regrow again..., probably you don't want it in your tank. Also if you notice another one, you can make a trap with a snail in a jar (if you have snail for lose), put near the worm hole, turn completely off the lights, and observe with a torch (using dimming light around, no direct on the area) or red light, once you spot it, be ready with the forceps/tweezers to grab it. Once you catch it, keep it strong enough, but not too strong to avoid cutting the worm. Start slowly to take it out..., isn't that hard, because it realize like toxic gel (don't worry isn't dissolving in the water), that gel will work for you (it slides out of the hole/gap). jst don't pull out with too much power.
Good Luck ;)
Regards: SHNICI - Georgi

kirstyflash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’d be better off setting up a trap for them, then you won’t disturb or stress the rest of the tank moving things around. Coke bottle, straws and a prawn

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back