z&ps or rics-which is better first coral

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it. I could be way off base starting with either of these, but wanted to stay away from some of the other more standard beginners as I have heard they can be invasive later on and don't want to deal with that.

Thanks!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I would start with the Zoas and Palys over the rics. That is just my personal taste and opnion though....

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One for z&ps! I wonder if I should have started a poll? Could have been more fun. I would have had to figure out how to make a poll though.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal opinion, neither of these is a great beginner coral. Rics and zoas will both melt if environmental conditions are not correct. Of the two, some of the Z-n-Ps are hardier.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians are a nice easy and inexpensive beginner coral (at least the photosynthetic ones are), also a few of the hardier LPS like Candy Canes will typically do quite well. If your parameters and temperature are all in line, and the tank is fully mature, you shouldn't have any real issues with any coral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians? I always thought that they were REALLY difficult because of feeding and that they usually starve?

I am pretty patient and know how much a catastophe rushing things can be.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians? I always thought that they were REALLY difficult because of feeding and that they usually starve?

I am pretty patient and know how much a catastophe rushing things can be.

Not the photosynthetic ones, usually purple. Like the purple ribbon gorgonian (Gorgonia pterogorgia). Sorry about that, clarified my earlier post ;)

Rudy16189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally ,,i start my collection with z/p..they are pretty easy ,pretty and grow pretty fast

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most zoos do ok. Seems some of the designer ones have some problems but for the most part you could put mortons salt in a toilet and put some zoos in there and they will survive. If you do start with z/p's def get yourself a good dip and start off right.

dirt-nasty-510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya Trees are one of the best starter corals you can go with you can usually get them for free and they grow like weeds

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i started with a few easy zoos too. Eagle eyes, Gorilla Nipples, whammin watermelon, green bay packers to name a few. They were pretty hardy and not overly expensive.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I will be starting off with zoas! Keeping my eye on the prize though as I will still want rics in the future. Thanks for all the responses!

MH_Courtney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoos are pretty easy to keep although they can melt for no apparent reason at all which can be frustrating for beginners and advanced hobbyists alike. I would recommend that you stay away from kenya tree coral unless you really love it and i mean really love it. It is very easy to keep and it does grow like a weed but it no one wants to take it off your hands and it will spread everywhere. Candy canes were one of my first coral and i did very well with them. I got a little frag of pulsing xenia as my first coral and that did very well but it can be a little tricky (not considered a beginner coral), also when it takes off it will go everywhere.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to disagree that gorgonians are easy for beginners except maybe Briareum spp. They are highly susceptible to getting covered with algae especially film type algae and algae issues are probably the number one problem beginners face . Some have special flow and food requirements

P9290074.jpg

gorg1.jpg

gorg3.jpg

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree that gorgonians are easy for beginners except maybe Briareum spp. They are highly susceptible to getting covered with algae especially film type algae and algae issues are probably the number one problem beginners face . Some have special flow and food requirements

Nice gorgonian dominated tank.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shred-man, but they are SO cool! I think Wy edited his post to say that only a specific gorgonian was easy. Thanks for the pics. Is that 2nd pic showing the film algae? What are those cat tail looking things?

Courtney-I have heard that about kenyas and also had nixed them from the list. Thank you for mentioning. It is like a double edged sword. You want something to cut your teeth on, but then it seems like those corals best for that become pests later on so then you are finding yourself starting out with something more challenging.

I have a fellow reefer who has said he would give me some pipe organ and frogspawn if I want it. Don't know if that is what I should start out with?

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try common zoas, but some of the more rare ones melt for no reason...or you could try zenia!!! :tongue:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The first pic is my newer tank which is being redone. I moved and have never been happy with the way it went back together.

The last two pics are of my older tank that eventually got tore down. The algae in the second pic is Neomeris annulata and is like halimeda.

In the third pic you can see some dictyota which died off. That briareum it is growing next to got so big and hairy I t grew out of the water. I eneded up fragging allot of it off.

I have a bad pic of it.

tankshot1.jpg

I have really been a huge fan of gorgonia for a long time. I think it is because I used to spend so much time diving in the caribbean and the reefs there are pretty much gorgonian dominated.

Dave Polzin

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a fellow reefer who has said he would give me some pipe organ and frogspawn if I want it. Don't know if that is what I should start out with?

Pipe organ is tuff. Frog spawn is not hard but I would not consider it a beginner coral. You know the best way to start out is with some free frags. If you loose them it aint so bad. Most soft coral are not too hard to start with. Move on too sps or lps once you learn how to keep your water perameters stable and learn to keep your calcium, alk and mag levels up and stable. Softies are easy to frag and get frags of, see if you have a local reef club.

Dave Polzin

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back