Which test kits needed first, for corals

Matt2939

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am jumping back in after being out for a few years, and I am trying to avoid breaking the bank right out of the gates. I’ve been looking at the Hanna tests kits, which are about $65 ea for the various types.

My question is what would be the very first 1-2 tests you would start with (Phosphate, Alk, Magnesium, Nitrate, etc)? I’ll be getting the rest down the road I’m sure. The corals I want to start with are euphyllia and maybe zoas.

I can always go to the LFS too and get water tested to supplement my own testing.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractometer, alk, cal, mag, NO3, PO4 will be the important parameters. If you don’t want to buy these, make sure you have access to someone who can test. Euphyllia require stability and nutrients.

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Hanna for Nitrate and Phosphate ULR. I'm using Salifert for Ca and Alk.

I think the Hanna's are worth their weight in gold for tests where you would otherwise be trying to decipher between shades of color. With Ca and Alk you're just looking for a color change which as long as you're not color blind is easy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity and alk measurement are the two most important things, along with temperature.

I would not even get a magnesium kit on a new tank.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity, Alkalinity, pH, Calcium.

OP
OP
M

Matt2939

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies! I’ve got a refractometer already. So definitely getting Alk test first since that seems to be general consensus most important.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies! I’ve got a refractometer already. So definitely getting Alk test first since that seems to be general consensus most important.

I don't know about buying one test at a time. You can't just worry about Alkalinity. You also have o monitor the impact alkalinity has on other elements.

OP
OP
M

Matt2939

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about buying one test at a time. You can't just worry about Alkalinity. You also have o monitor the impact alkalinity has on other elements.
Would you suggest waiting, saving up for all tests at once, and not testing in the meantime for anything?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would also get calibration fluid for the refractometer, it's very cheap. Refractometers can drift and a lot of the cheap amazon ones arnt even properly calibrated from the factory. It could save you a lot of headaches.

Also My list would be:

Salinity
Alkalinity (I like to check it every morning on a new tank once the corals are in)
Phosphate (keep it detectable)
Nitrate
and wouldn't worry about Calcium and Magnesium untill things start growing at a good pace.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General curiosity: Why is Alk so important vs the rest?

Calcium (and magnesium) will not change if alk is not changing, or not changing much.

It is the bell weather for needing to dose or not (aside from trace elements).

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also get calibration fluid for the refractometer, it's very cheap. Refractometers can drift and a lot of the cheap amazon ones arnt even properly calibrated from the factory. It could save you a lot of headaches.
Seconding this. After a very frustrating time troubleshooting why I had ridiculously low calcium I found my refractometer was mis-calibrated so badly I was running salinity at 27 ppm.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have a refractometer, my order would be something like:
  1. Alkalinity
  2. PO4/NO3
  3. The opposite of #2 if not purchased together
  4. Calcium
  5. Iron
  6. Potassium
As already stated by @Randy Holmes-Farley we use alk as one of the first and easiest ways to monitor consumption of elements within the tank to see if dosing will need to be required.

I would be looking at nutrient control, I may lean towards PO4 first but I personally don't prioritize one over the other.

Next (especially if using/believing in Red Sea's Trace Elements) would be calcium as it's the next biggest thing the corals uptake (if using the RS Trace dosing you also dose trace elements based on calcium dosing).

Iron comes next as it supposedly/anecdotally helps in coloration and algae growth/control.

Then Potassium, for health/coloration.

These are just my preferences and the master @Randy Holmes-Farley will probably correct any thing I misstated and then we all get to learn :)

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconding this. After a very frustrating time troubleshooting why I had ridiculously low calcium I found my refractometer was mis-calibrated so badly I was running salinity at 27 ppm.
I'm a newb with saltwater. I'm going through a grind trying to get a good reading on salinity. I use a refractometer and one of those "pen" types. I misread the pen by thinking my salinity was way high and removed a bunch of water and replaced with RODI then didn't think my corals looked happy and got the refractometer out and it didn't look way off but it wasn't calibrated correctly. Now I have calibrating fluid but it's been about a month long process of bringing it back up without driving my tank crazy. The refractometer I have is hard for me to read so I'm searching for something that is accurate and I can actually read what its telling me.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you suggest waiting, saving up for all tests at once, and not testing in the meantime for anything?

I would imagine that some testing is better than none at all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back