OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update, Holidays and flu bug slowing me down a bit :(. Also I'm not the best at stopping and taking pics. My Father-in-law used to be a cabinet maker before going into commercial remodels. He has a fully furnished cabinet shop in his basement and has been helping with my stand. I myself not much of a woodworker, I'm a machinist by trade. So Pauls help needless to say has been a huge help!! The main structure is 2x4s and 2x6s and is 32" tall. This sets on a base cabinet that is made of 2x8" (this is to fix a flub up on my part :(. The stand is trimmed out with Red Oak and will be stained a dark brown (Kona by Minwax), with the base being filled and smoothed than cover in a matte black paint. From the bottom of the sump to the bottom of the tank I have a full 30" :)

Also the other big update is I just purchased 100lbs of premium aqua cultured gulf live rock from Premium Decorative Live Rock and it will be delivered directly to the Seattle airport when I'm ready to receive it.

So the goal for New Years Eve day is finish the stand and get it stained. Friday move the stand to my house, clean the tank, and Saturday do the plumbing. Sunday leak check and get the Reefkeeper installed. Easy right!!!!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa, making some serious headway there Zach hoping it mostly goes to plan bud.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today went well. My father in-law is not enjoying doing the Oak over a structural lumber frame. It takes a bit to get all the panels/miters/edges to line up. Sorry did not get a pic of where we stopped but here is us starting on the "Crown" for the top of the stand.

All thats left on the stand is to mount the two end pieces, sand, and stain.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father in laws first time with a water based stain. Needless to say he was not impressed. Hopefully it just need a few more coats after a light sanding. My cell does not do the stand justice :)

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100lbs of Gulf live rock has arrived. Did a 20min frashwater dip and than a 5min saltwater dip with Coral RX Pro. No killer worms emerged other than 2 bristle worms and 5 snails :). Everything is in a tub with saltwater, a heater, and a couple powerheads. Quick count was about 8 differnt kinds of sponges, 3 macro algaes, angel wing clams, 2 types of tunicates, fan worms, and a couple Gorgons. Great shapes and lots of holes, nooks, and crannys :)

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME looking shipment of LR Zach, for me still well worth the little risk for the HUGE reward of getting bio-diversity in using live.

Cheers, Todd

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back