Zachs 360gallon build

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello after a huge disappointment and frustration on my last tank, I stepped away for a bit and worked on other projects. Now that winter is approaching and I'm going to be stuck in the house for the next 4 months, its time to start a new build.

My last tank was a 280 (72x30x30) with a sump that was too small and a stand that was to confined. The straw that broke this camels back is when I messed up and got my two part mixed up and crashed the tank. After loosing $$$$ of SPS, I'd had enough. Lessons learned, biggest one is, plan ahead/stick to the plan. I had way to many impulse/its to good of a deal purchases for equipment. My lighting didn't fit the tank/skimmer was undersized/ ect/ect. Have learned a lot and trying to not make the same pitfalls again.

So this time the build is going to take awhile as I raise funds for the equipment I want and build it out correctly the first time.

Equipment list:

Tank is acrylic with twin corner overflows and is 96x30x30 with three large openings on top. Overflows each have a 1.5 and 1" bulkhead and will be set up as a Herbie. I will be adding 3 1" return bulkheads to the back of the tank.

Stand is steel and made out of 2" .120 wall tubing and will be powder coated white. No door just panels held on with magnets. I want to have as much access as I can under this tank. Stand height is 38"

Lighting will be two 48" 8bulb ATI Sunpower fixtures, still deciding if I want to mount them in a floating canopy or not.

Sump is a old aquarium that will be cut down to 55x24x22tall separated into a sock chamber/large refugium/return chamber. Setting the refugium depth to 18" and return chamber to 8" gives me a total volume of 100gallons (80gallons refugium). There will be a Octopus Varios2 hard plumed to the sock chamber feeding the Skimmer and a reactor manifold.

Skimmer is a Octopus Diablo 300ext recirculating skimmer with a Varios4 upgrade. This will be feed via the above mentioned pump and return to the refugium chamber.

Calc Reator, Octopus CR200 with a Carbon Doser Regulator and 5lb cylinder

Return Pump, Reef Octopus Varios8 via 3 1" bulkheads in the back of the tank.

Flow in the tank, at this time looking at 2 Gyre pumps, 1 at each end of the tank.

Last but not least, tank will be Controled by my Apex Gold system along with a second DC8, a DOS, ATK, and a AWM

Will start adding pics this evening. At this point I have the tank, The Apex gear, skimmer ordered, getting bids on the stand. Budget set with my wife (THE BEST!!) for the equipment. Lucky for me my birthday and Christmas are both just around the corner
smile.gif
. Not going to be the fastest build, but the goal is up and running by Feb/March

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a killer build taking shape. Signing up to follow this one.

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great build. Who is making your tank?

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great build. Who is making your tank?

Tank is used, but was built by a local tank builder. Got lucky today, or unlucky depends on how you look at it. A local reefer has thrown in the towel and is selling off everything. He had a 500/600 gallon SPS system, I picked up his complete Reef Octopus calcium reactor set up, Ozone set up, Chiller, Apex, power heads, and a NIB Reeflo Hammerhead. The hammer head may change my sump situation to the garage, talking to the wife about that still. That is her idea and im not fighting to hard at this time. Kevins exodus helps my budget and timeline immensely. That being said I'm very sad I never made it down to see his system in person before it was dismantled.

Sorry I have been slow on getting pics up. Cleaning garage so I can get to the tank again and the skimmer hasn't arrived, CoralVue/ReefOcto are waiting for the correct volute for the skimmer. Will probably be next Sunday before I really get a chance to start posting pics.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha moved the tank here almost 3 months ago. Actually measured it today, tank is actually 84x32x32tall. I took the tank on trade for a 150 with stand and canopy and didn't really pay attention to it at the time.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the steel Friday for the stand, unfortunately will be a couple weeks before I have a free weekend to weld it up. Than will be off to the powder coater. Did pick up a frag tank, want to start getting some frags going so when the tank ready the will be also. Very simple 48x28x18tall with HOB Octopus, a old gyre 150 and a couple Black boxes for lighting.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is coming together nicely...congrats.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and there has been a tank change. I really wanted a 8ft tank min and the black sides bothered my wife, Lucky enough found a 96x34x24tall peninsula tank for sale local. I missed buying it by a hour but contacted the guy who did buy it and worked out a straight across trade, my tank for the one he just bought. This has brought about a change of location for the tank. It will now divide the family room from the kitchen/breakfast nook area and give me three viewing sides vs just one :). Also makes the plumbing run from the tank to the garage shorter and straighter!!

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and there has been a tank change. I really wanted a 8ft tank min and the black sides bothered my wife, Lucky enough found a 96x34x24tall peninsula tank for sale local. I missed buying it by a hour but contacted the guy who did buy it and worked out a straight across trade, my tank for the one he just bought. This has brought about a change of location for the tank. It will now divide the family room from the kitchen/breakfast nook area and give me three viewing sides vs just one :). Also makes the plumbing run from the tank to the garage shorter and straighter!!
Those are the exact dimensions I'm looking for in a peninsula. Any idea who made the tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back