Zeo Supplements in Non-Zeo Tank

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions about dosing some Zeo Supplements in a Non-Zeo tank

I have a 70 gallon ( 85 total volume) SPS dominant tank. It's not technically a ULNS as I don't carbon dose. Nitrates and phosphates are kept low by Protein Skimming,10% weekly water changes and GFO changed out monthly. I also grow some Chaeto in a refugium in the sump. Nitrates are undetectable on the Salifert Nitrate Test Kit. Phosphates test at .03 on a Hanna ULR Phosphate Meter.

SPS colors are pretty good but there is room for improvement. I started dosing some Zeo Potassium Iodide Fluoride About 3 weeks ago and noticed improvement in my blue colors. I also stopped usage of ROX carbon at the same time. not sue if that affected the color improvement. I think it was a little too aggressive for my tank.

I was wanting to try a few more of the Zeo additives and picked up the following:
Coral Vitalizer
Coral Snow
Pohls Xtra

From what I have read it's ok to dose these even though I don't run a Zeo Reactor. I read the Zeo guide and it specifically states the Potassium Iodide can be used in non zeo tanks It does not state that for the other additives I have.

I did a water change last night and thought it was a good time to dose the Coral Snow, I added some Coral Vitalizer at the same time. I thought my water was already clear but looks even clearer this morning.

Any advice on how much and how often to dose the above supplements? I am considering going to a full Zeo tank but i'm not sure at this time.

Here's a current picture of the tank

045.jpg

Thanks for your time, Jimmy

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from my limited understanding there is absolutely nothing wrong with dosing zeo additives without having the "full" zeo setup. You will notice that almost all their products demand daily dosing, and that is why I cant justify the zeo system. I want to have the freedom to leave my house for a few days and not have to rely on a petsitter etc, to be dosing 10 different bottles everyday.

I do use a couple of their products, so dont think I am against zeo at all. I just cant justify the full blown system, especially when I have had pretty good success without it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back