Zeolight without zeolit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PatrikD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that the latest version of fm zeo-light-system is sort of different than before. Now emphasis is on nutrition control via bacteria growth in coral mucus that in turn feed the corals directly or indirectly which accelerates growth of the corals and hence phosphates and nitrates are stripped from the water column by increased biomass. Before emphasis was to increase bacteria population everywhere, and especially in the zeolite reactor, and thereby increase biomass in the form of bacteria that in the end is skimmed out, and by this process reduce excess nutritients.

How necessary is the zeolite? Couldn't it be replaced by heavy skimming and perhaps a little gfo or how important is the zeovit link in the chain. I realize that potassium dosing can be cut down if zeolit isn't used.

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Having zeolites is one of the main components which make up the Zeolight method. The purpose of having this media is to remove pollutants such as ammonium while also allowing bacteria to cultivate in the zeolite pores.

Heavy skimming is recommended either way. Running a PO4 remover is necessary if the PO4 level is too high. Thereafter, you can run half of the normal amount of media and replace as needed.

OP
OP
P

PatrikD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I understand that you can't call it zeolight if you don't use zeovit. Myself I'm going to try the following.
Dosing FM Coral Balance, FM Color Elements and FM Ultra Min S according to instructions. I will also use FM Ultra CarbL and Siporax instead of zeovit and if needed GFO.
Later I will perhaps also use FM Reef Vitality but I have only 250 L so I have to dose a quarter of a capsule at a time which seems suboptimal. It's easier to dose FM Coral Balance.
I also use FM Balling light.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?

Is there a component that s vital in FM Reef Vitality or can I continue with only CB.

Last edited:

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not get these systems mixed up; Zeolight and Zeovit are two different systems by separate companies. :)

Reef Vitality and Coral Balance are separate products, but do have some overlapping properties such as nutrient reduction.

Reef Vitality is responsible for nutrient reduction as well as feeding the coral. It has a similar effect to UltraBak and UltraBio in that bacteria is added and helped in reducing nutrients.

Coral balance also assists with nutrient reduction. Between RV and CB, you have different products that are capable of nutrient reduction. We normally recommend to start below the recommended dose amount because every tank is going to have different dosing needs, even if it's the same volume tank. Many tanks begin to see positive results before they even reach the recommended dose amount. When the bioload starts to go up, you can always bring up the dosage until you get to 100%.

I cannot say if using Siporax with their bacteria then jumping to RV will have a negative effect or not. Just make sure you don't make drastic changes to the tank.

OP
OP
P

PatrikD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I meant zeolith.

Reef Vitality is responsible for nutrient reduction as well as feeding the coral. It has a similar effect to UltraBak and UltraBio in that bacteria is added and helped in reducing nutrients.

I cannot say if using Siporax with their bacteria then jumping to RV will have a negative effect or not. Just make sure you don't make drastic changes to the tank.

Is bacteria really added with Reef Vitality?

I haven't started with siporax yet.I just want try another growth place for bacteria than zeolith.
Is it correct that as long as the levels of nitrate and phosphates are dealt with properly, the actual method used to do that is irrelevant for the use of RV and CB?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ what Randy said.

OP
OP
P

PatrikD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I have put 2 litres of siporax in the sump. I have also dosed about half dose of ultra min s and CB for a couple of weeks. Coral Balance really clouds the water. When I'm preparing CB it reminds me of making of making something called"välling" in swedish (gruel?) to my babies. I wonder what that stuff is :) The corals seem to like it.

I have low phosphate levels. I suppose, but I can't find it clearly stated somewhere, that these Fauna Marin products are best suited for use in low nutrition tanks. I would be pleased by some illumination of this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back