Zeovit and Calcium Formate type one-parts?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to my understanding, various one part systems (Tropic Marin Carbocalcium, All for Reef; Salifert All-in-One) basically add calcium formate, which is naturally processed by bacteria in your tank to add KH. (Randy, I did read your article but I'm sure I butchered things from a chemistry perspective. http://www.reefedition.com/the-many-methods-for-supplementing-calcium-and-alkalinity/)

Zeobvit and similar systems have specific bacteria in the media that do various things (to my understanding, in Zeovit's case, it processes ammonia and other tank wastes long before it can ever turn into nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, etc.)

It seems to me there's the possiblity that a zeovit system has a different bacterial balance from the average reef tank, and that Zeovit plus a calcium-formate based system might lead to unintended consequences?

MrMreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeovit and A4R user here - haven’t noticed anything yet; started dosing at 10ml/350l a month ago and now up to 35ml/350l with Alk at 7.6-8.0 and consumption at ~0.5 dKH per day currently.

pH minimum at about 8.15, max at about 8.3 w CO2 levels at 800ppm peak (680ish avg)

Happy to throw up some more data if we want to try crunching this thing (although I stupidly did not record the doses for each day).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to my understanding, various one part systems (Tropic Marin Carbocalcium, All for Reef; Salifert All-in-One) basically add calcium formate, which is naturally processed by bacteria in your tank to add KH. (Randy, I did read your article but I'm sure I butchered things from a chemistry perspective. http://www.reefedition.com/the-many-methods-for-supplementing-calcium-and-alkalinity/)

Zeobvit and similar systems have specific bacteria in the media that do various things (to my understanding, in Zeovit's case, it processes ammonia and other tank wastes long before it can ever turn into nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, etc.)

It seems to me there's the possiblity that a zeovit system has a different bacterial balance from the average reef tank, and that Zeovit plus a calcium-formate based system might lead to unintended consequences?

Salifert All In One is calcium acetate, not formate. For that reason, the effect on nutrients from Salifert dosing may be higher than the effect from TM dosing.

I'm not sure that zeovit tanks have different bacterial species. I don't claim to be an expert on it since most of its components are trade secrets, but my understanding is that it is mostly a low nutrient system.

Do low nutrient systems like zeovit and organic alk systems like All for Reef play well together? I'm not really sure, but I do not see an obvious reason they would not.

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, thanks Randy!

I don't see any general reason low nutrient systems and AFR, etc. wouldn't play well (beyond the potential for incompatibilities in their proprietary formulae).

I just found nothing about it online (unlike using zeovit with straight up 3 part KH, Ca, and Mg supplementation or a two part system like ESV b-ionic - Korallen zucht sells the former and people have done the latter) and wanted to do my best to be sure I've done what research I can before jumping into this.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back