Zero Nitrate & Phosphate readings, what now?

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smell doesn't mean the rock can't be used. Just that it needs to cure for a bit.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, they were only in stagnant water for 24 hours. I ended up putting a powerhead in there last night. Do I just leave them in there for awhile or what? I guess it could just be the old algae dying off, I do still have a mushroom on one of the rocks.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I'm reading to cure rocks I just treat it like a normal tank. Heater, Flow, Water changes, sprinkle in fish food every couple days. Keep doing this until they no longer stink.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tested water since cleaning the tank here are the results.
TEST KITHANNA CHECKERHANNA CHECKERHANNA dKHSALIFERTSALIFERTHANNA HRHANNA ULR
DATESALINITYTEMPPHALKCALMAGNITRATEPHOS
11/1/2334.879.310.345013800.30.03

Only PH testing a could do would be with a API so I didn't test it. Also thought my nitrate would be a little higher, but I think the hanna checkers use light when doing the readings. My wife turned out the lights when it was counting down so maybe that had something to do with the low reading? But hey I don't have 0.0 phos & nitrate!
My next question is should I do daily testing for the rest of the week then switch to once a week?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tested water since cleaning the tank here are the results.

Only PH testing a could do would be with a API so I didn't test it. Also thought my nitrate would be a little higher, but I think the hanna checkers use light when doing the readings. My wife turned out the lights when it was counting down so maybe that had something to do with the low reading? But hey I don't have 0.0 phos & nitrate!
My next question is should I do daily testing for the rest of the week then switch to once a week?

I don't see any reason to test daily.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any reason to test daily.
So here is todays results. And this is before my daily fish feeding and before feeding corals Reef Roids. I will be feeding reef roids 2x a week. Noticed my nitrate is back down to 0. Any suggestions?
11/7/2334.879.69.843013500.00.04
*I did a 10% WC this past Sunday (2 days ago)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is todays results. And this is before my daily fish feeding and before feeding corals Reef Roids. I will be feeding reef roids 2x a week. Noticed my nitrate is back down to 0. Any suggestions?
*I did a 10% WC this past Sunday (2 days ago)

I'd either up the feeding, or dose nitrate (or ammonia). I recommend 2-10 ppm nitrate, with values higher than that range better than values below it.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
11/14/2334.879.38.845013100.00.04

Still no Nitrates... What product do you suggest I get to dose? Also I know chemipure doesn't remove Nitrates & Phosphates directly but should I remove it from my HOB filter?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
11/14/2334.879.38.845013100.00.04

Still no Nitrates... What product do you suggest I get to dose? Also I know chemipure doesn't remove Nitrates & Phosphates directly but should I remove it from my HOB filter?

I’d either feed more or dose food grade sodium or calcium nitrate.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also maybe I should add another fish? I already have 7 not sure how many I can safely add to a 55 gallon. I’d honestly rather find a natural fix for low nitrates. But I don’t understand why I’m staying at zero nitrates… what is using them?

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys I hate to say this but the green turf algae is back. After I pulled out all the rocks & scrubbed them I added turbo snails but never touched the turf algae as it started to grow back. I have been dosing Neonitro & Neophos but have been checking levels and Nitrates have been staying around 1-3 and phos 0.02-0.05 not sure why so much algae has grown back. Any suggestions? Today is my birthday & I just received a shipment of some zoa frags, duncan frag, and a bsp frag but don't have room on the rocks for placement because of the algae...

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turf scrubber and a magnetic frag rack for now until the scrubber starts working. You should probably get those nutrients up to avoid dinos as well.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys I hate to say this but the green turf algae is back. After I pulled out all the rocks & scrubbed them I added turbo snails but never touched the turf algae as it started to grow back. I have been dosing Neonitro & Neophos but have been checking levels and Nitrates have been staying around 1-3 and phos 0.02-0.05 not sure why so much algae has grown back. Any suggestions? Today is my birthday & I just received a shipment of some zoa frags, duncan frag, and a bsp frag but don't have room on the rocks for placement because of the algae...

Why are you dosing phosphate? That will just go directly towards the algae if that’s already there. Scrubbing the rocks will not help if there is nothing to compete with the algae since all the traces will stay on the rock and grow back. CUC will not compete with an endless supply of phosphate. Corals need “some” phosphate and the algae are growing so there is plenty of that. Even if you would measure 0 ( which will take some time since the rocks buffer PO4 ), there will still be plenty of it but you need to get rid of the algae first.

Made the same mistake as you before with the exact same result. Dosing PO4 will simply create a green garden if there is nothing to consume it. You can fight it back by stopping that phosphate dosing and killing the algae. 2 ways to do that is by taking them out (if that is possible) and spraying it with H2O2 which will kill the algae. Let it soak for a few minutes and rinse with some water. You can scrub the rocks outside but even without the scrubbing, it will simply go away after using the H2O2 (might take 2 or more attempts).
Another way is to use NaOH (corrosive) in the tank but this lowers the PH, therefore only use a bit of that and will have to do spot treatment. This requires to turn off the pumps, dose it directly on the algae and leave it for a 10-30 minutes. Algae will melt after 24h and will not grow back as quickly.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you dosing phosphate? That will just go directly towards the algae if that’s already there. Scrubbing the rocks will not help if there is nothing to compete with the algae since all the traces will stay on the rock and grow back. CUC will not compete with an endless supply of phosphate. Corals need “some” phosphate and the algae are growing so there is plenty of that. Even if you would measure 0 ( which will take some time since the rocks buffer PO4 ), there will still be plenty of it but you need to get rid of the algae first.

IMO, if you detect none, one cannot know if there is enough for any particular organism. It is not always true that presence of algae means enough P for corals. Also, even elevated P (1 ppm, say) does not necessarily imply an algae problem will happen.

Another way is to use NaOH (corrosive) in the tank but this lowers the PH, therefore only use a bit of that and will have to do spot treatment.

FWIW, NaOH raises alkalinity and pH.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, if you detect none, one cannot know if there is enough for any particular organism. It is not always true that presence of algae means enough P for corals. Also, even elevated P (1 ppm, say) does not necessarily imply an algae problem will happen.

Do you suggest I keep dosing my daily amount of N & P? To keep the range of 1-3 and 0.02-0.05. I'f I don't dose they will bottom at 0 N & 0.02 P pretty quick.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back