Zero nitrates but algea growth?

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So every time I test nitrates, they are either 2 or 0 ppm. My zoas dont look good and are staying closed and I thought it might be to low of nitrates. Problem is, film algea on the glass every day and bubble algae like crazy right now which makes me think that algae is consuming available nitrates. My question is should I dose nitrates even though I have an algae problem? BTW my phosphates are 0.06

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae is mostly a phosphate eater in my experience. Other algae is eating nitrate.

Bubble algae needs to be physically removed. A pain, but it's a slow grower.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per others, yeah the algae is most likely consuming all the nitrates.

You will indeed have to increase nitrate availability for your corals somehow. Manual removal of algae decreases competition, though unlikely to be particularly effective. Feeding more, dosing nitrates, etc. should work.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all algae prefers nitrate. Some will take up ammonia and such. Nitrates are not the limiting factor for algae growth as we almost always have enough. Phosphate is the better thing to control for algae as well as having something eat algae).

Emerald crabs will eat the bubble algae.

What do you use to test phosphate?

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad that in my tank I’m building when I use gulf rock I am going to get cryptic zones and lots of detritivores that will cut down on the amount of waste dead algae creates and just feed all the sponges worms and filter feeders as opposed to pollute the water

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all algae prefers nitrate. Some will take up ammonia and such. Nitrates are not the limiting factor for algae growth as we almost always have enough. Phosphate is the better thing to control for algae as well as having something eat algae).

Emerald crabs will eat the bubble algae
Yes, algae and plants need trace elements like iron phosphate calcium and other things (this applies to fresh too) if you starve out those minerals (benefical to fish and coral and basically everything, don’t have a 0 mineral system) u can’t get growth of algae or whatever it is you are trying to remove

OP
OP
justinkdenny

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Emerald crabs will eat the bubble algae.

What do you use to test phosphate?
I have 2 emerald crabs working on it and I use Hannah phosphate levels range.

Stellar Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA will suck up nitrates almost as soon as it's made, tangs and my foxface keep the tank spotless, but under the egg crate gha started and my nitrates went form 30ppm to untraceable in 2 days, when I remove the algea under there I'm 99.9% sure I'll get my nitrates back (along with better growth) try not to focus on nitrates but more a team to take care of algea before it's even visible; tangs, rabbits, snails, and hermits, just sharing my experience

OP
OP
justinkdenny

justinkdenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other corals doing poorly? Could something be bothering the zoas? How long have the zoas been acting poorly?
Blastomussa looks bad but mostly just zoas. Frogspawn and mushrooms look good. Clove polyps look good. GSP always look good. I have heard zoas do better in dirtier water conditions so I thought that might be the case. I have looked for zoa spiders or other pests. I do have a bunch of baby asterina starfish and baby snails. Maybe they are causing problems.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are showing 0 nitrates, yes, I would dose (or at least target feed) regardless of algae issues. When you test 0, you are testing (and showing) 0 available nutrients for coral at that point in time, regardless of who is consuming it.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So every time I test nitrates, they are either 2 or 0 ppm. My zoas dont look good and are staying closed and I thought it might be to low of nitrates. Problem is, film algea on the glass every day and bubble algae like crazy right now which makes me think that algae is consuming available nitrates. My question is should I dose nitrates even though I have an algae problem? BTW my phosphates are 0.06
Hear this a lot. The algae is holding the nitrates. You are testing the water.

Back