zero phosphates then boom!

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing Brightwells Neophos for about 3 weeks now and only one time did I register any phosphates on my Hanna checker. After the first time of dosing 8 ml in my 30G sump (DT is 75G), did my phosphates register. For three weeks, I dosed up to 60 ml per day in increments of 10 ml. According to the instructions, I only needed 30 ml to get to .03 ppm. Tested almost every day and zero. I even tested a few minutes after dosing and zero. I understand the rock and sand critters were consuming the phosphates and maybe even the corals. But, the corals looked HORRIBLE and I lost many of them.

So the other day, I decided to try something different and dose 20 ml into my DT....not my sump. I tested after a few minutes and BOOM, .09 ppm. I tested the next day (no additional dosing) and it read .07 and today it was steady at .07 ppm.

Unless it was coincidence that the tank hit equilibrium the day I dosed into the DT, I don't understand why dosing into the sump (dosed directly into the return pump section) would yield different results than dosing into the DT. Are the critters in the pump or plumbing eating it up before it gets to the DT? That does not sound logical.

Ideas on why dosing the DT yields results? BTW, I am already seeing a positive change in my corals and hopefully my dinos (just in spots) will go away.

Thanks
Steve

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose the same way as you do and I will se results in the DT rather fast after dosing. When you dose in the sump - from where did you took the samples from and after how long time? Sure - it makes no sense at all

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lasse, I take the samples from the DT usually a few hours after I dose in the sump. A few time I did take samples 10 minutes after. Makes no sense to me either.

I’m just happy I am finally getting results.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it was just coincidence and that yes it takes a significant amount of dosing to raise PO4 in a starved tank because the rock binds most of it those first few weeks. At least that was my experience when I dosed NeoPhos.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it was just coincidence and that yes it takes a significant amount of dosing to raise PO4 in a starved tank because the rock binds most of it those first few weeks. At least that was my experience when I dosed NeoPhos.

Yes - that´s my experiences too - but I normally do not believe coincidences just like that. But in this case - maybe…….

But any how - now there is figures at least.

Sincerely Lasse

Back