zero Po4 and 1ppm No3 is this a problem

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv had my tank running for 3 months with fish in there! but no corals yet because just got my doser and better lights

I did my water tests today and I only had 1ppm nitrate on nyos kit and 0.00 phosphate on ulr hanna

feed fish twice a day and some algae on clip"

is this going to lead to trouble with dino or cyano outbrake with my low nutrients ? should I dose some brightwells neophos so Po4 is around 0.8-1ppm

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a refugium? What lights are you running and what is your lighting schedule? What food are you feeding?

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a refugium? What lights are you running and what is your lighting schedule? What food are you feeding?
iv not got refugium" iv only got reefoctopus skimmer and Brightwell n03 xport block and socks/filter floss and carbon in bag! my lights are 3 hydra 26hd run only at 60% blues/violet and 30% white for 11 morning to 9.30 night
iv not started stocking corals yet

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think you can start with some Acros now. It took my tank some time before I was getting readable Phos with my URL Hanna. It was around the 1 year mark when they started showing and I had Acros going well before then. Just pace yourself and start with some tried and true hardy varieties that are not too expensive. Add some fish and give her time. Nutrients will build. It's better to struggle with building nutrients than to have to battle high nutrients. You could also skim a little wetter.

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you mate" does skimming wetter not take so much nutrients out your tank? my skim is very dry and not much water foam come over into cup

OP
OP
J

johnj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new lights will be the big change. If it were me, I'd get them set up and let the tank settle in with them for a while before changing anything else.
how will they effect my po4 and No3 ? im running 3x hydra 26hd but adding a aqualife t5 hybrid with x4 80watt ati tubes with the hydras

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know with any certainty. A big upswing in light intensity could kick off any number of new organisms or bacteria.
You'll probly see more coraline and/or nuisance algae than you had with fowlr lights. I don't disagree that you may end up wanting to feed heavier or dose phosphate. Just that I'd want to have a few weeks (or months) of periodic testing under the system you plan to run, and be able to see how the corals look and react first.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank pic? If your getting green film algae on your glass you have po4 in your tank. My 120 just went past 5 months. No3 1-2, po4 0-.02 hanna ulr. I get green film every 3 days or so. I would just feed more and the po4 will come up. I did dose low amonuts of po4 but switched to more feeding instead. I run a 7" filter sock and a skimmer, skimming wet, nothing else. Current stock 9 fish, couple shrimp, few snails, and 40+ corals. I dose 2 part by hand also.
20191208_194707.jpg

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you mate" does skimming wetter not take so much nutrients out your tank? my skim is very dry and not much water foam come over into cup
That is the idea. You can also just run the skimmer part-time. Monitor nutrients and adjust as needed.

Back