Zip Ties and Phosphates

  • Thread starter Thread starter gmastr85
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gmastr85

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 14, 2014
Messages
347
Reaction score
61
Location
PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm overthinking this... But do common plastic zip ties leech phosphates into the system? Anyone have problems with them?

The reason I'm asking is... I am setting up a frag tank and using 1" PVC underneath the egg-crate to hold them off the bottom of the tank. I'm drilling holes in the PVC and attaching them to the egg-crate with black zip ties. Being that I'm using 2 - 24" x 24" egg-crates. And each crate will have 5 - 1" PVC pieces underneath. Each PVC will have 2 zip ties holding it. That means I'm putting 20 zip ties into my system; which is a lot of plastic.

So has anyone had a problem with zip ties or does anyone think they could cause an issue? Or does anyone know of a better way to attach the PVC to the egg-crate?

Thanks for any advice!!!
 
Iv used zip ties with no problem but u could use reef glue if ur unsure ive ziptied dragons breath down n built drip trays with eggcrate
 
Yeah I could use glue I guess. Would probably work just fine. I wonder how it would hold up though. My snails are constantly knocking my plugs off..
 
There is a lot of plastic in a reef aquarium skimmer pump impellers pump housings bulkheads just make sure u dont use antimicrobial plastics
 
Make ur rack outside the aquarium let it fully dry 24 hrs u wont see the zip ties with glue n once its dry it will b strong use gel super glue ive glued eggcrate to a old mag float n it held a lot of frags its stronger than u would think after 24 hrs
 
Yeah thats what I planned on doing. Making it and then putting it in.
 
As long as they're nylon tipped and NOT metal tipped. There are both kinds and you have to look at them. I haven't had any issues with nylon tipped zip ties and I use many over and under water.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new