Zoa’s getting smaller

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rasta mini colony. I got it when it was about 10 heads all good size. That was about 4 months ago, it has grown about 6-7 extra heads which are normal size but the original heads in the middle have gotten much smaller. Any ideas? Everything in my tank is doing good including other zoa’s, hammers, frogspawn, acans, leathers, gsp, RBA.... etc

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1310.JPG

This is when I got it

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1678.JPG

This is the end of December there was no issues yet

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1679.JPG

These are the heads that have been getting smaller bad pic but it’s all I have right now.

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the parameters looking? I have notice a sudden spike in Po4 will cause mine to shrink up.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the parameters looking? I have notice a sudden spike in Po4 will cause mine to shrink up.

Parameters were good but I did a water change just in case. Like 2 days ago and I plan on doing another one this weekend just in case. I’ll change out my phosguard when I get home.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters were good but I did a water change just in case. Like 2 days ago and I plan on doing another one this weekend just in case. I’ll change out my phosguard when I get home.

I haven’t noticed any Algae issues though

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.0
Salinity 1.025

These are before I did my water change I’ll test again when I get home also I’ll check my Po4

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ph 8.0
Salinity 1.025

These are before I did my water change I’ll test again when I get home also I’ll check my Po4

Also I put in fresh carbon when I did my water change

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dose No3,i keep mine in the 20's anything lower than 15 ,,everybody gets grumpy.
milage varies and differs per tank ,,do a search on dosing No3 and go from there,,water changes are not going to fix this..stop doing WC and stop skimming too much stop carbon too..let the tank balance out..
many variables but start with dosing No3 and dont worry about PO4...I stopped chasing numbers,,not always good to chase numbers.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dose No3,i keep mine in the 20's anything lower than 15 ,,everybody gets grumpy.
milage varies and differs per tank ,,do a search on dosing No3 and go from there,,water changes are not going to fix this..stop doing WC and stop skimming too much stop carbon too..let the tank balance out..
many variables but start with dosing No3 and dont worry about PO4...I stopped chasing numbers,,not always good to chase numbers.

I’m not really chasing numbers my tank has always naturally stayed like this... I do water changes every 10-14 days typically. I wasn’t running carbon for like 1 month just thought I would add it the other day because I noticed these zoa’s getting smaller so I was thinking maybe chemicals from other corals. I was thinking to start feeding them reef roids that would be a natural way of increasing the no3. Do you think that would help?

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep everything the same but dose No3..
Zoas love No3 and Iodide you have none..feeding will bring in more kinds of nutreints that you don't want to have then you'll have another issue possibly from feeding broadcast foods ..
Never had any luck worth mentioning about broadcast feeding ground up powder foods..some people do but I seen nothing worth continuing with that kind of foods.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys I’m going to try to start with target feeding reef roids if that doesn’t help I’ll go with the dosing route

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep everything the same but dose No3..
Zoas love No3 and Iodide you have none..feeding will bring in more kinds of nutreints that you don't want to have then you'll have another issue possibly from feeding broadcast foods ..
Never had any luck worth mentioning about broadcast feeding ground up powder foods..some people do but I seen nothing worth continuing with that kind of foods.
If it's low No3, why are only the rasta's being affected?

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every animal is different,,I have my "canary" in my tank too,,if this one or two coral starts to act up,,I check params before the rest could possibly act up and take care of the issue before they all get grumpy.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t see any sort of pest it doesn’t look like they are being eaten just getting smaller but still staying open

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Zoas need iodine in the water, moderate lighting and water flow and feedings (2-3X per week),

Are there shrimp or crabs such as emerald crab that may be annoying them ?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back