Zoa’s getting smaller

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids and Palythoas are very strange. One day there skirts will be fully extended while growing and spreading. Then a few weeks later they will close up or won’t open up fully. This could go on for weeks! I have some RPE’s that were huge and would multiply every other week. Then one day they all closed up. They remained closed for over a month. Last week, they opened up again...go figure!
Sometimes it’s trial and error. Change water flow, lighting placement in your tank. Try feeding plankton like Coral Vibrance or Reef Roids. The plankton addition makes a big difference with my polyps. Water changes and dosing iodine are ideal as well.

OP
OP
Nano Gabe

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids and Palythoas are very strange. One day there skirts will be fully extended while growing and spreading. Then a few weeks later they will close up or won’t open up fully. This could go on for weeks! I have some RPE’s that were huge and would multiply every other week. Then one day they all closed up. They remained closed for over a month. Last week, they opened up again...go figure!
Sometimes it’s trial and error. Change water flow, lighting placement in your tank. Try feeding plankton like Coral Vibrance or Reef Roids. The plankton addition makes a big difference with my polyps. Water changes and dosing iodine are ideal as well.

Thanks a lot of good advice!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping ulns is not good. Po4 & no3 are building blocks of life. The zooxanthella need that to produce energy for the coral.

Ashley Kekua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep everything the same but dose No3..
Zoas love No3 and Iodide you have none..feeding will bring in more kinds of nutreints that you don't want to have then you'll have another issue possibly from feeding broadcast foods ..
Never had any luck worth mentioning about broadcast feeding ground up powder foods..some people do but I seen nothing worth continuing with that kind of foods.
i agree to this correctly!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back