Zoa’s only partially open

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49eb2a205e07c68038fbffe441b03028.jpg

These Zoa’s have been doing great and saw this this morning,only partially open. I have another one on the opposite side of the tank with no problem. I used a turkey baster and blew some sand off. I increased my MaxSpec Leds yellow to 50 and blues at 45. I do dose Res Sea Foundation and Red Sea Coral Nutrition. I am changing carbon today on the schedule for water change as well. I didn’t see anything unusual on it this morning. Thanks in advance

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been several things. Increase of light intensity or spectrum irritated them. Blowing the sand bed could have irritated. They could just be closed because they absorbed something that you blew around. Keep an eye on them.

In general if they are reaching high up, that is because they are attempting to get more light. Usually a sign you can turn up the intensity. Just do so slowly and keep observing them They shouldn't remain closed for days on end.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just blew sand off them there going to be irritated.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been several things. Increase of light intensity or spectrum irritated them. Blowing the sand bed could have irritated. They could just be closed because they absorbed something that you blew around. Keep an eye on them.

In general if they are reaching high up, that is because they are attempting to get more light. Usually a sign you can turn up the intensity. Just do so slowly and keep observing them They shouldn't remain closed for days on end.

Thanks, come to think of it, I did clean the rocks earlier and the other half is stretched upwards. Thanks for the info,still learning. Dan

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they only been half open for a day? If so, i'd give it another 2-3 days before you change anything drastic that could potentially cause them to open up even less. Some of my zoas will close for a couple of days and then open up later and be completely fine.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they only been half open for a day? If so, i'd give it another 2-3 days before you change anything drastic that could potentially cause them to open up even less. Some of my zoas will close for a couple of days and then open up later and be completely fine.
Thanks will watch

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

43efbf4954903569c0a2c7f40ddbbc13.jpg

I did water change this morning and adjusted the yellow up to 50%, looking better today, almost all open this morning. Thanks for your help

Dan Happy New Year

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back