Zoa Behavior

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad I'm a one coral kind of guy, but man there is so much to learn.

Right now I'm curious about general behavior of zoas and what it may mean. Like right now all my zoas seem like they are stretching taller than they've done in the past month. I've had them since Christmas time and they usually stay squatty, but the past couple days have been stretched upwards. They're open as well, so I don't know that I need to be concerned about them, but can't wait to learn from your experiences.

Thanks,

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just it. The lights are a couple weeks older than the tank and the zoas are place at different levels, mid to low in the tank, one being about 12" from the lights and the others 18" and they're all doing it. I'll mess with them and see. I need a par meter, but don't have the money now.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just it. The lights are a couple weeks older than the tank and the zoas are place at different levels, mid to low in the tank, one being about 12" from the lights and the others 18" and they're all doing it. I'll mess with them and see. I need a par meter, but don't have the money now.
lux meter.

What lights are you using.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral sun Two bulb t 5 lights, one actenic and the other bright white and I have some adjustable led light strips that are blue and turned up.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral sun Two bulb t 5 lights, one actenic and the other bright white and I have some adjustable led light strips that are blue and turned up.
how deep is the tank? how high above the tank is the light?
also what brand tubes? And is the fixture and bulb HO T5?

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the light fixture sits on top of the tank, would touch the water if i filled it up all the way. the tank is 17" from lights to sand bed. i really shouldn't type before my nap. the light fixture is coral life and the bulbs are also coral life bulbs, actinic and 10k.

current distances from lights to each of the zoas are 15", 10", 12" and 13.5".

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the light fixture sits on top of the tank, would touch the water if i filled it up all the way. the tank is 17" from lights to sand bed. i really shouldn't type before my nap. the light fixture is coral life and the bulbs are also coral life bulbs, actinic and 10k.

current distances from lights to each of the zoas are 15", 10", 12" and 13.5".
yea, when it comes time to change tubes look at ati. More punch I believe. A better strip would help.

OP
OP
saltnewb

saltnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cleaned off the glass that sits between the lights and the water and now they're all short and fat. i'm guessing that is preferred?

Back