Zoa discoloration

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello club ZOA, newbie reefer here!

i bought 3 frags of zoas (very good deal) a little over a week ago and I’m noticing some discoloration on my biggest frag. How is this fixable? I don’t have a before picture but here’s what it looks like and it’s getting slightly worse every day.

I’ve had them for about 9 days, and only recently they all opened up and seem happy aside from the colours fading.

I was told there’s too much light by a LFS employee that pretty much didn’t want to deal with questions. Yesterday I raised my Chinese black box (viparspectra) even higher (it was already higher than recommended by manufacturer after watching the BRS video on CBB’s) and I lowered the blues from 34% to 30 and the whites from 12% to 10 but I’m still noticing more discoloration since I did that.

Will the Colors ever come back?

AE47D183-23F1-485C-BCC4-81BC50844862.jpeg

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas can handle some light . Some handle less than others though I had a huge Zoa colony grow like crazy that was 3/4 way up near my 165 watt viperspectra lighting . I think it might be the spectrum of lighting that can do this . They will come back . You may have to tweak your lighting more
What were the lights under at LFS?

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas can handle some light . Some handle less than others though I had a huge Zoa colony grow like crazy that was 3/4 way up near my 165 watt viperspectra lighting . I think it might be the spectrum of lighting that can do this . They will come back . You may have to tweak your lighting more
What were the lights under at LFS?
What’s your settings on the viparspectra?
I didn’t get the zoas from the lfs, got them from my buddy’s frag tank for 5$ per frag. He uses a g3(or g4) combined with 2 smaller t5

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my blues up to 60 or 70% and whites were at or around 20%what I remember .

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really thinking Might be the light spectrum of the vipers.. possibly . It’s a strong led and I liked a lot . But I had some corals in that tank that were not brilliantly colored . A little faded .
I would bring your blues up slowly and leave your whites as is

Good luck

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the phlezons i run my colors point straight up and my blues are pointing straight to the right. Put my whammin watermelon bottom right of my tank lights are 18 inches above water. They are open all day long.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back