Zoa dominated 180g

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have had this tank running for about 5 years, and went through many ups and downs. In the past year, I have gotten it to the point where I am happy enough with it to start a build thread on here lol.

I am still in high school, and have had saltwater tanks since I was 11, although I just started getting really good at it about a year ago. It is really hard to have all these corals and do this in high school money wise, which is why I sell a lot of corals to pay for more corals, glue, fish food, etc.

Before and after 1 year ago
IMG_3543.JPG

As you can see, the biggest change I made was adding a LOT of zoas. I love zoas, I have over 40 types in my tank and its getting to the point to where im hard pressed to find new types that I dont have lol.

This rock in my tank in particular is my favorite area (im sure you can see which one im talking about)
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.43.20 AM.png

Maintenance:
I do 3-4 30 gallon water changes a month. I also feed pretty heavily. I think that the water changes combined with higher nutrients is what makes the zoas grow and thrive.

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.50.19 AM.png

Equipment: I run filter socks, protein skimmer and have a large refugium for chaeto. For lights, there are 2 kessil 360w and 2 ai prime hd. I only have one extra tunze wavemaker, as zoas do not need a TON of flow like a lot of sps.

This particular part of the tank I am still working on, it is not quite where I want it yet
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.53.28 AM.png

I also have other stuff besides zoas, but I have been slowly selling things off to make room for more zoas
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.58.47 AM.png

FTS
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 9.00.36 AM.png

Thanks for looking!
Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 8.49.51 AM.png

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Outstanding work! You should be VERY proud of the success you have had. That is a truly stunning collection and a beautiful tank. I too LOVE zoas' but we have virtually none where I live and it is impossible to source. Very jealous of the colonies you have. Propagating and selling/trading is the way to go. If you were my kid I'd be proud as punch. Heck, you aren't even my kid and I am proud as punch!

OP
OP
Kremis

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Outstanding work! You should be VERY proud of the success you have had. That is a truly stunning collection and a beautiful tank. I too LOVE zoas' but we have virtually none where I live and it is impossible to source. Very jealous of the colonies you have. Propagating and selling/trading is the way to go. If you were my kid I'd be proud as punch. Heck, you aren't even my kid and I am proud as punch!
Thanks man!

Sandbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have had this tank running for about 5 years, and went through many ups and downs. In the past year, I have gotten it to the point where I am happy enough with it to start a build thread on here lol.

I am still in high school, and have had saltwater tanks since I was 11, although I just started getting really good at it about a year ago. It is really hard to have all these corals and do this in high school money wise, which is why I sell a lot of corals to pay for more corals, glue, fish food, etc.

IMG_3543.JPG

As you can see, the biggest change I made was adding a LOT of zoas. I love zoas, I have over 40 types in my tank and its getting to the point to where im hard pressed to find new types that I dont have lol.

This rock in my tank in particular is my favorite area (im sure you can see which one im talking about)

Maintenance:
I do 3-4 30 gallon water changes a month. I also feed pretty heavily. I think that the water changes combined with higher nutrients is what makes the zoas grow and thrive.

Equipment: I run filter socks, protein skimmer and have a large refugium for chaeto. For lights, there are 2 kessil 360w and 2 ai prime hd. I only have one extra tunze wavemaker, as zoas do not need a TON of flow like a lot of sps.

This particular part of the tank I am still working on, it is not quite where I want it yet

I also have other stuff besides zoas, but I have been slowly selling things off to make room for more zoas

FTS

Thanks for looking!

Love it!!! Mine will also be Zoa heavy!!

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3543.JPG

Maintenance:

FTS

Thanks for looking!
Beautiful zoas. that was my plan but somehow they don't grow for me.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread brother, enjoyed it very much. Now I can see where some of my zoas came from, nice colonies you have there. If you're getting rid of some corals, I'll buy the entire frogspawn from you ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back