Zoa eating nudibrach plan

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that I have these so I plan to grt rid of them asap. I also posted this in my other thead CAR fading but I wanted to be more specific, sorry if this was a bad idea. I can remove all my zoa colonies easy but not my palys. Do they eat palys?

My plan
1. Fresh water dip all colonies for 5 min
2. Revive dip all colonies 5 min
Repeat once a week for 3 weeks.
3. Buy a corris wrasse. Do they play nice with other wrasses?

Thoughts advice?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

CMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Zoa eating nudibrach in my 30 gal LPS tank what I did was take all the Zoas out and dipped them in Seachem Reef Dip then put them in my Q tank the only thing that I left was the Purple Death palys they were the only palys that they did not go after. I keep them in my Q tank for two mounts dipping them every week be for I dipped them I would take any nudibrach and egg's off that I could see. That worked for me and so far I have not seen any sine of them in my DT.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tried dipping in fresh water for 5 min. be careful! and i would do dips at different times not fresh water and then revive. wait a few hours. quarantine is the best and if you have a magnifying glass use it to inspect closely. I bought a usb microscope that hooks to my laptop and it's amazing at checking for pests.
Picture022.jpg

tiny isopods i didn't know what they were and reason why i bought microscope
Picture021.jpg

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what your plan of attack is and all I can say is that you are missing the most important part of getting rid of your problem, The eggs.

I don't know how effective your plan is however, I got this procedure from several people and it worked great.

Since you can remove the colonies it should be easier for you to erradicate the nudi's quick. Place them in a quarantine tank. set up an iodine dip in a separate bucket. If you look at the lugols solution bottle you will see a solution for using as a dip. make the dip solution in a small bucket large enough to soak your largest zoa colony. Soak each colony and give it a few shakes while in the dip solution. At this point you will start to see the nudi's in the bottom of the bucket. the solution will kill the nudi's but it will not kill the eggs. Take a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers and look for white spiral strings, these are the eggs. take these off with the tweezers. once done, dip and shake again. If after several colonies, you have a lot of nudi's then dump it and make another batch. once you are done with all the colonies, place them in the quarantine tank and keep an eye on them for possible left over nudi's. you can also place a coris wrasse in this tank since it will not be medicated. the wrasse will eat any stragglers. Keep this quarantine until you can no longer see or find any eggs or nudi's. then you can place your colonies back into your DT. do the dip every week if necessary. The Iodine is a disinfectant and will help your zoa's recover. By the way use gloves when doing this and goggles. because the nudi's eat the zoa's they will contain the exact same toxic chemical in them, just be careful and take some precautions.

Hope this helps. good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. I can easily set up a qt for a month but all I have for lights are power compacts. Is this ok? Also I cant pull the palys does that matter? I have loguls so I can do iodine dips. Do corris wrasses get along with potters wrasse cleaner wrasse and orchid dottyback?

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. I can easily set up a qt for a month but all I have for lights are power compacts. Is this ok? Also I cant pull the palys does that matter? I have loguls so I can do iodine dips. Do corris wrasses get along with potters wrasse cleaner wrasse and orchid dottyback?

The power compacts should be fine. not sure on the wrasse situation, I didn't own those. As for the paly's just keep an eye and do what you can.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have loguls, but should I buy flatworm exit to be nicer to the zoas? What is the best for the zoa survival?

Alex27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lugol's is an antiseptic, In the form of a dip solution it is not harmful to your zoa's. Flatworm exit if used incorrectly can harm your entire tank.

infinite abyss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. COral rx is good to get rid of parasites. seems like a thorough plant to get rid of all the parrsites.
maybe try a tamarin wrasse to kill all the parasites. i think they work well.

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably easier buying a wrasse to do the job. You would have to dip a few times so it would take some time. For wrasses as the op suggested, I think yellow corris are much better then tamarin wrasses for controlling nudis and other pests in the tank.

I have a yellow corris and I have added a few different wrasses after it. It's been nothing but docile with them all.

Last edited:

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a yellow coris wrasse over a tamarin because they're easier to get, cheaper, and hardier. Just keep inspecting your zoas and remove any that you find. It'll take some time but hopefully you can win the fight. You can also try and frag them off the rocks to try and remove any eggs that are on the rocks. The wrasses typically get along. I wouldn't worry about aggression.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys I added a corris wrasse today and did an lugols dip by adding 20 drops brightwells to a fish bowl and dipping all zoas for 15. I FOUND A BUNCH OF TINY STARFISH on the red hornets, pulled off and only saw one nudi. I am going to try in displau for now if it doesnt get better I will set up QT. What do u guys think of stars? Was lugols concentrated enough?

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the fresh water dip..... I had this problem about a month ago but i was able to catch it quick.....They were on my utter chaos colony and I had i done a fresh water dip and then the revive. Not a good idea... The utterchaos lost all color just from doing that.. They barely got all there color back a month later. Just dip in revive and get a turkey baster and start blasting the colony, they should blow right off. You really need to worry about the eggs... Get under some good light and look between all the polyps and look for the tiny spiral clusters. It took me about an hour to look through the colonies but i found 4 clusters of eggs on 4 different colonies.

OP
OP
GeoHawk

GeoHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so placing them back in the display so far isn't working I have the corris wrasse in there, but I am still finding nudis this morning I plan on dipping again and placing in qt. Any other thoughts?

Justjim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a coris wrasse because I liked the look of it. Then I found out they eat nudis and flatworms. Good pickup IMO. Does flatworm exit kill zoa nudis? I thought it just killed flatworms.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back