Zoa Garden?

MuggyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want one of my rocks to be all Zoas, just not sure where. Any ideas where it would look best? Tank is still newer(About 6months old) so not much in it yet besides some cyano and green algae that comes and goes. Diatoms have started disappearing after covering all rock and sand bed for a few weeks. Current corals are two Zoa’s, Birdsnest, two Duncan’s(peppermint shrimp ate the first one and I thought it was a goner so got a replacement and traded the shrimp in, Duncan sprang back to life), Favites, Anthelia, and Montipora Cap. All coral has been in my tank over a month now with the first Zoas, Anthelia, and Favites slowly growing, well not the Anthelia, it’s growing fast. 7F1D2958-B116-4ACC-B15B-4ED5BF1BD801.jpeg 7FAD5EFF-5F58-4C17-83AA-90096F6557D0.jpeg 18A66DB2-686C-46AA-BA29-F87A9FD8C97F.jpeg C8EA97EB-219C-4A3F-A6D6-EE8D00D02731.jpeg 06B770B9-7DD8-4FB2-B2EF-7ECF8A1390C7.jpeg 28E698F0-A5CD-42CF-B538-1BEABBBFCC32.jpeg

nick7948

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider putting them on a rock that is isolated from your other rock. If the rocks are touching, eventually the zoa will cover the rock and move on to the other rock. With that said, it will take a while before that happens so you can always reassess at a later time. From a height standpoint I would try a few different points before gluing it down to make sure that it doesn't close up. Some zoa's prefer more light than other zoas. An example is that I had scrambled eggs that looked their best about 1/3 way up in my tank while I had to put illumantis at the bottom for them to open up. Generally people recommend zoas not be too high but your rock doesn't go super high anyway.

OP
OP
M

MuggyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider putting them on a rock that is isolated from your other rock. If the rocks are touching, eventually the zoa will cover the rock and move on to the other rock. With that said, it will take a while before that happens so you can always reassess at a later time. From a height standpoint I would try a few different points before gluing it down to make sure that it doesn't close up. Some zoa's prefer more light than other zoas. An example is that I had scrambled eggs that looked their best about 1/3 way up in my tank while I had to put illumantis at the bottom for them to open up. Generally people recommend zoas not be too high but your rock doesn't go super high anyway.
Yeah I was thinking about maybe adding 20lbs more of rock cause my tank has started to look pretty empty, might just be because my few corals are tiny frags though. The green zoa I could see growing crazy, it’s already grown two new heads and I see a third coming in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back