Zoa growing off cliff edge, thoughts?

ScoobyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So my Zoas are spreading towards a cliff ledge. I'm assuming due to gravity it'll start drooping downward below vs wrapping off edge and grow underneath. Should I "prune/frag" any new heads or just let it go? I'm still pretty new to this so I'm amazed at watching these spread from the original frag. Will they be smart enough to realize it's on an edge and stop going that way... I really don't know how they decide which way to grow.

Thanks!

Drysea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity should not be the deciding factor. They will spread until they hit conditions they don’t like. In this case too much shade will like be the deciding factor. They don’t “ think or decide “ Per se. if you are itching to frag I would recommend good hygiene and latex gloves some of those beauties can release some impressive toxins than can make you sick. If you let them spread into a shaded area the will stop themselves but often you will get a bit of a different look to the polyps as the grown in different conditions. Longer stalks, slightly different shades and different skirt extension.

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont have any frags of that particular colony ,I ,I recommend fragging now while its easiest. I try to have some redundancy by fragging a duplicate just in case the colony flat lines.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
With zoas I have them grow under rock underhangs and then they just pan for light. I also have colonies on my substrate and I'll get them growing partially under the growout plate as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back