Zoa help!

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help with with these two white spots? What are they? Could it be the pox?
IMG_0611.JPG

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep,,possibly could be,,,keep an eye on it for a day or two,,watch temperature swings and low salinity issues,,also over skimming,,clean heaters and skimmer plus power heads,,just something i do,,always have Furan 2 medication on hand to head the pox off early..pox can be a horrible experience if you have the amount of zoas i have

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped it in the Furun 2 already and they have closed up and haven't opened up since. How many times should I use that stuff? I think my new Zoa that I picked up tonight has it as well.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my understanding you do a dip in F2 for 3 consecutive days. One package of F2 in one cup of new saltwater then rinse. If another round is necessary you should wait a week and repeat the process. At least I had success handling it in this manner.

This is all assuming you're dealing with zoa pox.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ,,3 days dip treatment in seperate container ,,rinse in separate container and 3 days off,,rinse and put colony in lower light ,,higher flow position in tank..
DO NOT gets your hands in Furan 2 water,,use tongs or gloves,,

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help with with these two white spots? What are they? Could it be the pox?
IMG_0611.JPG
Idk much about the pox, however that brown looking film at the base of the zoas is an algae that will kill the colony eventually. It almost looks like a layer of skin.

I only recently read a post from @A. grandis where he talked about slicing it with a razor and peeling it off. I may actually have disagreed with him in that thread. But since then i have found it on several frags and have removed it by scraping sideways with a scalpel. Zoas were happier the next day.

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have been picking at it with tweezers to try and get it off should I have it out if the water to do that? It's hard to dunk it and try to get it off.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of caution...if you're going to "work" on them outside the water, please wear gloves and protective glasses. Better safe than sorry.

OP
OP
Ksturg

Ksturg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I always wear gloves when I handle them no matter what. I just took it out and cleaned as much of the brown stuff off as I could she looks better we will see if she opens soon

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back