Zoa HELP

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

i have been having some problems with my reef tank with ONLY zoas. everything else is doing well and i have no clue why the zoas have a problem. I have some zoas in the sump and those are actually doing well, but the ones in the main are all shrivled up. i even moved one of the healthy ones up from the sump and they stay closed:( i have no clue what is going on. cant tell if i need to raise my lights or lower it. the sump light is a kessil h80 on full power.

My parameters are this:

Phossphate .08
Calcium 560 ( Kind of High)
Alk: 7dkh
Mag 1450
salinity 1.024 (Hanna)
Nitrate is 25
light is a radion brightness on 60 percent.
No Ammonia or nitrite and ph is 8.2

please please help me

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos

IMG_5799.jpg IMG_5797.jpg IMG_5798.jpg IMG_5800.jpg

Sabdali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following because this is exactly what happened with a few of my zoas. Weird because it only affected some and not the rest

Sabdali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did have this issue but more widespread. A couple changes helped fix it in some but not others.

I was recommended to reduce my photo period or decrease light intensity, Increase nutrients by feeding more, and dip the coral in peroxide and coral rx.

Looking at your parameters, I wouldn't feed more as your phosphates and nitrates are already at a high enough lvl. It's possible that your issue might be light intensity

Sabdali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posting these to show a comparison to yours. First one is salted agave morph that has been affected. The other three are healthy zoas that were once affected and are doing fine. These photos were taken yesterday

The deformed ones have been in my tank for 5 months and have been like that for the past month. Started off as a single polyp

IMG_20200710_134551.jpg Screenshot_20200709-211702.jpg IMG_20200709_210817.jpg IMG_20200709_210659.jpg

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d trying running chemipure and changing every month...there’s also the chance there could be something in your water or lacking. Iodine is huge with Zoas. I would recommend Purit to absorb anything along with chemipure. Also add Iodine daily

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To little light they reach, to much light they lay flat...for the most part. I’d try moving to low light low flow to see if they bounce back..I’ve personally noticed my Zoas do better ramping up light over a 2 week period

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that makes sense about lighting. i guess i cant tell if its too low or too high. the zoas i moved to sump are pefectly fine and there is a kessil h80 on there. its on the highest intensity so i cant tell if either its SUPER HIGH or SUper low. i actually do run chemipure and i did do an ati test. apparently i just have high sulfur and lithium and salnity WAS low but i got it up and nothing still changed

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my zoas in the sump reach SUPER HIGH. the purpke monster i have looks like it reached for the sky haha so i guess you answered my question. my lights are at 60 percent now in the past they qwere at 35 should i just lower it back to 30 in leave it for a while

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would decrease light intensity and maybe get your NO3 down a little, I wouldn't drop all the way back to 30% but maybe 45-50% and see how they respond.. renting a par meter would be high on my priority list ;)

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

lights have been at 35 percent this whole week and no change at all. Parameters are all ok. Besides the nitrates of 25, but most zoas like dirty water?
It still surprises me that my sump zoas are perfectly open and some recovering, but the in tank zoas are still closed and not open as often or growing. if the key is lower light should i turn the Radion down lower? is it possibly lower flow? i just cant figure it out. i sent in another ATI Test, but overall i feel like my paramters are pretty good

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%

Back